Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Total on Report Header Post Reply Post New Topic
WernerCD

Online Status: Offline
Quote WernerCD Replybullet Topic: Total on Report Header
    Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:59am
Noob alert. Fairly new to Crystal Reports.

I have a report that has a number of counters that count variations of some data I'm... well... reporting on.

Basically, the way I understand it, is that each record goes thru the counters... if the data meets criteria they trigger a Running Tally. The RTs feed my Grand Totals.

I would prefer to have the Totals on the top of the report, with the group data below in the details. If I move them to the top tho *BAM* all my totals are 0 or 1. I move it to bottom *BAM* all my totals are correct.

Not sure how to make it happen...

Thanks for help.

Edit: Guess I should clarify: CR 2008 using a SQL Query to get data from remote Database.

Edited by WernerCD - 01 Jul 2010 at 9:04am
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 10:40am
CR needs to read the data...which occurs at the time the report is generated (WhilePrintingRecords).  So if you put them in the header, no records have been read, as of that time, so the total is 0.  All conditional totals need to be in either a subreport or the group footer. 

A subreport will pause while it reads all the pertinent data and then the main report resumes, so there is the double hit to the report, having to get the data and read it again...so subreports should be used with that caveat in mind.

Either way, CR needs to read the data before it can report on it.  A basic SUM for a group can be computed before the printing as all of the data is available in the table (raw data).

Hope it is not too muddled
IP IP Logged
WernerCD

Quote WernerCD Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 3:09am
That's the assumption I was working on... I hoping that there was a way to put that data up top.

I think my solution is going to be to "Suppress" the "details" as in this report is basically as summation of tests done during a time period.

I've also been tinkering with some chart and cross-tab (although still trying to wrap my head around cross-tabs). Their are some chart options that might work up top, but I hadn't found one I think looks presentable for the data provided.

My hope was to have numbers up top and data below. Guess I'll be back with a question about cross-tabs in a few hours.

Thanks for the answer.
Chris
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version