Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Blob field or memo field cannot be used in a formu Post Reply Post New Topic
kv41282

Online Status: Offline
Quote kv41282 Replybullet Topic: Blob field or memo field cannot be used in a formu
    Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 11:12am
I have a (CR8.5)document with a field that are links to the intranet of our business. I want to group by this field. To know how many objects are linked to one of the intranet-link.

But now i get the error: Blob field or memo field cannot be used in a formula.

Can i convert these fields? I don't see the field in the formula-tree.

Please who can help me?

Edited by kv41282 - 18 Jul 2010 at 10:50pm
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 10:29am
In CR8.5 it is not possible to use blobs or memos in formulas.  You have to parse the field in SQL.  You would have to do one of two things to get this to work:

1.  (Preferred method) If you're using a client/server database like SQL Server or Oracle, create a view or a stored procedure that will split up the memo field.

2.  Modify the SQL in your report so that it parses the fields.  The problem with this method occurs if you ever decide to upgrade the version of Crystal that you're using - in v 8.5 and below you could modify the SQL directly but in v 9 and above you can't.  So, in order to upgrade the report it would have to be completely rewritten from scratch.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
pumpCR

Quote pumpCR Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 5:44pm

I'm in a similar problem now with blob field, can anyone explain abit more about create a view or a stored procedure that will split up the memo field?

Thanks!!
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:20am
Views and stored procedures are part of most types of database - they're not available in file-based databases like Paradox, FoxPro, dBase, and (I think....) Access. 

A view is a SQL query that "looks" like and can be used as if it were a table.  When you include it in a larger query the database will run the view query automatically.  View creation is different in different databases, but they all essentially work the same way.

A stored procedure would be used if you need to do more processing of the data than can be done in a query.  The stored procedure would then return a "cursor" which the database sees as a table that can be used inside a select query.

The exact syntax for either of these is database-dependent and you should contact you DBA for assistance.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
wangjin

Quote wangjin Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 2:18pm
I'm trying to include a BLOB field in one of my reports but the field appears as empty . How can I make signature image display on report?
I used command to do the query:
select signature from validsinature where signaturecode =1

(The signature is the column in MSSQL 2005. It stores *.jpg  as blob.)

I drag the column from database fields panel onto design panel. Preview it, signautre image does not display(empty).

I also tried to use formula, but blob is not allowed in formula.

Crystal Reports 2008
Database: Remote mssql 2005 database
Connection method: JDBC conn
Type of data in the BLOB is JPG file.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version