Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: View wide reports with Web Report Viewer Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
KMeyer

Online Status: Offline
Quote KMeyer Replybullet Topic: View wide reports with Web Report Viewer
    Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 3:22am
I have just designed a couple of grouped landscape asp.net reports within VS2005.

When I run the application within the design environment the pages containing report viewers behave as one would expect. Viewing and printing of these landscape reports is fine and all functionality in the viewer is present.

As soon as I access the website outside of VS2005 design environment in IIS, the reports are displayed truncated to the top left hand side of the browser and are unreadable, it is almost as though the page width is not resizing correctly in the report viewer under runtime. I have an A4 portrait form style report in the same application with the same design parameters that works perfectly at runtime.

I have seen similar posts in Google regarding report width issues so I do not think I am alone and was wondering if anyone else has had and resolved this strange behaviour with Crystal Report viewer at runtime.
I have tried changing the viewer width property at design time but it does not change this issue at runtime. Confused

Regards
Kim
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 11:35am
I can't help on this one. I do know that BOBJ has a service pack for VS 2005 in beta right now and maybe that will clear up some problems everyone is having with it.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 2:54pm
hey - i just got the SP Beta on my computer. If you could send me a SIMPLE report that uses the Xtreme.mdb database, then I can test it with the new beta and let you know how it goes. If it still crashes, I'll report it to the beta forum. I would also like to know some of the links you found if possible. This will help me do more testing and report back to them the results.

per the new release notes, the SP does address formatting problems on the web, but I don't know if it addresses your specific problem.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
KMeyer

Quote KMeyer Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 10:44pm
Thanks for the response Brian,
I thought I might clarify something, I am hosting it on the development machine and I have deployed Crystal Reports in net 2.0 as per

In my searching on this topic I found the link below, which describes my experience to the word. It just so happens that I have a Zebra label printer attached to the development/server pc, though it is not the default printer on this machine.
I also have a form letter style A4 report which was the subject of earlier posts on this forum that has been performing faultlessly on the same web site. The only difference I can think of is I did not have to change the printer settings to Landscape whilst in the designer for this portrait report.

I might test a little further and create a new portrait report on this site, check that it displays correctly at runtime and then change the printer settings in the designer to Landscape and run it again. If it breaks then that will prove there is a bug of some sort when you deploy a report with printer settings changed while editing it and possibly having a label printer connected. Odd that it behaves as it should when viewed in the browser from within Visual Studio Shocked 

Regards
Kim
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 11:42pm
If you do more testing let me know. I'll check out the links this weekend. I'm getting my Virtual Machine built to test the new SP.

It's not surprising that the report works in VS but not on the web. VS is a custom designed report viewer. The web is a generic display for all types of data. Things often get out of whack when displayed on the web.

Oh - I see that you have the label printer on you server. THIS is probably the problem. CR is trying to format the report according to a new page layout. This can destroy formatting. That is why they have the 'No Printer' option to make the report as generic as possible. Install the correct type of report on the computer and see if this fixes the problem. I have the exact same problem on another project and once I installed the correct printer (even though we never actually sent anything to the printer) then everything started working fine. Please let me know if you can do the install and what the results are.

Brian
IP IP Logged
KMeyer

Quote KMeyer Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2007 at 1:18am
Thanks Brian,
I already had the correct printer installed and set as default, the label printer is secondary. If I go to the printer settings within the report in VS it displays the Windows default A4 laser printer by default, alls well when running the website inside the Visual Studio environment.

I setup a new test portrait report with less fields and when I view that outside VS, I can now see what is happening. It is exactly what was described on the ASP.NET Crystal Reports link I posted and that was with the previous VS 2003, so the issue is not just VS 2005. If I print all pages Adobe previews the report in the exact layout and page size that a label would print on the label printer, truly amazing LOL

I cant remove the label printer as it is shared around the office with some applications printing to it. Interestingly the one report that was created months ago, that works correctly was added to the application prior to installing the Zebra label printer on this pc. I do not want to delete the printer just to prove the point unless I really have to. Nor do I really want to create these reports again without the label printer connected to see if they behave. I wonder if this may have been covered in SP1, there is not much info on what it contains on their website other than Vista updates which are little interest to me at the moment.  You mentioned the "No Printer" option in your last post I am not sure what you meant, I will check out my copy of .net programming and see if you mention it there.

Regards
Kim
IP IP Logged
KMeyer

Quote KMeyer Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2007 at 2:29am

Brian, thanks for the "No Printer" tip.

I found it when I had a chance to revisit the application, right mouse clicked on the report in VS and selected "Design/Printer Setup" from the popup menu then ticked the "No Printer" box displayed in the top left of the printer properties dialog box.

My two new reports are now displaying and printing correctly and ignoring the fact that I have a label printer attached, fantastic. Clap

Thanks again
Kim
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2007 at 8:09am
Awesome! Glad to help. 
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2007 at 8:12am
Oh yeah - if you can, you  might want to mention this solution on those other websites you found where people had the same problem (and maybe even link to this forum!).
IP IP Logged
thotasridhar

Quote thotasridhar Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 2:18pm

Brain,

I am having the same issue, but if I select the no printer option , the report layout goes to portrait layout. I need the reports should be in landscape mode. How can I keep them in landscape with No printer selected. I hope there is  a solution.

Thanks

Thota

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version