Writing Code
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Writing Code
Message Icon Topic: On Demand reporting Post Reply Post New Topic
tpeloquin

Online Status: Offline
Quote tpeloquin Replybullet Topic: On Demand reporting
    Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 1:48pm
I have a dilema.  I have created a web application which provides the ability to schedule a report via e-mail or on-demand.  However, the on demand part uses thread.sleep() on the main thread and re-queries every 3 seconds.  This ties up the application.  I want to either implement an async webservice or a background worker process.  In either instance, I'm losing the ability to download the report to the browser.  My level of frustration has superseeded my progress so I deleted all my code for this piece.  Can some one point me in the right direction?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 2:56pm
By "schedule" do you mean in BusinessObjects or Crystal Enterprise or Crystal Report Server?

Do you need to save an instance for the on-line reports?

We have both scheduled and on-line reports in our system.  The on-line reports are not run through BusinessObjects where the scheduled reports are published.  We have a copy of the .rpt files for the online reports on the web server and we use the asp.net viewer to run and view these reports interactively.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
tpeloquin

Quote tpeloquin Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 5:40am
I'm using the scheduling object in BO XI through .NET 2005.  I do not have to save an instance after download and the report viewer cannot handle the formatting of the reports.  Both e-mail and on-demand reporting use the scheduling object.   The e-mail piece submits the request to the report server and then uses the smtp e-mail object to send the report when processing is finished and deletes the instance.  The on-demand piece keeps the connection open and queries the repository every 3 seconds or so until the success of the report is set.  While waiting for the report to process I cannot click on any other link because the thread to the report will be lost.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 7:30am
What is there with the report formatting that the viewer can't handle?  How are you displaying the reports now?

-Dell
IP IP Logged
tpeloquin

Quote tpeloquin Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2007 at 12:54pm
The reports are either e-mailed in excel format or pdf.  On demand allows the user to download the report in the saved/stored file format.  The viewer does not seem to support text written in a vertial fashion (rotated 90 degrees).
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2007 at 1:22pm
For vertical text, it depends on which viewer you're using.  The DHTML viewers will not do vertical text because there's no way to render it correctly in HTML.  I'm not sure about the Java viewer because I haven't worked with it.   However, I believe that the ActiveX viewer does show it correctly.

I'm not sure, however, how to get the ActiveX viewer to install/run from an app other than BusinessObjects itself.  Maybe Brian has some thoughts on this....

-Dell

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2007 at 1:33pm
I pulled this off the BOBJ support site:

To manually install the ActiveX Viewer on a client computer, complete these steps:

1. Log on to the client computer as the local administrator.

2. Locate the ActiveXViewer.cab file on the development computer or web server, depending on the version of Crystal Reports that is installed:

• Crystal Reports XI - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\3.0\crystalreportviewers11\ActiveXControls

• Crystal Reports 10 - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\crystalreportviewers10\ActiveXControls

• Crystal Reports 9 - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\crystalreportviewers\ActiveXControls

3. Copy the ActiveXViewer.cab file to the client computer.

4. Extract the .cab file into a local folder.

5. Right-click the Crviewer.inf (Crviewer9.inf for Crystal Reports 9) file and then and click 'Install'.

The ActiveX Viewer control is now installed on the client computer.

If after completing these steps the ActiveX Viewer is still not installed, try one or more of these steps:

• Run the DependencyInstaller.exe utility to install gdiplus.dll and usp10.dll, if required. The DependencyInstaller.exe is located inside ActiveXViewer.cab file.

CAUTION

Do not run DependencyInstaller.exe on the Enterprise XI server as it creates a Common Files directory under Program Files with the gdiplus.dll and usp10.dll in it. Only run it on a client.

• Deploy and then register the fie PrintControl.dll on the client computer.

• Extract the DLL files from the .cab file, place them in a folder, and then run the install script.

• Manually register all of the DLL files in the .cab file using regsvr32. For example, "regsvr32 myfile.dll".

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
tpeloquin

Quote tpeloquin Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 7:15am

I think we're missing the point.  Maybe we should revisit the original post.    I do not think the activeX viewer is going to solve my issue/concern.  I will still have to wait for the report to be returned to the ActiveX viewer.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version