Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Report Formula Field Problem Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
jkwrpc

Online Status: Offline
Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 2007 at 11:11am
wattsjr

For what its worth... I often use this with  databases having an  address1 and address2 datafields. Often the address2 field is empty, no values, and it works just fine.  It works really well with formula fields and other things where you want formatting abilities as well.

I hope you that as you use it you will  find it save  lots of time.

Regards,

John W.
IP IP Logged
wattsjr
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wattsjr Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 2:52pm
jkwrpc

I've been playing with your suggection (concatenating fields in a text string) and I can't get it to suppress blank lines. If one of the fields is null, it just prints a blank line.  When you referend to " address1 and address2 datafields" were those fields in the same line, or separate lines?

I'm using .Net 2003 and the CR that came with it at work. Was the blank line suppression implemented in a newer version?

I really like the insertion into a text string feature, and I just need to know when I can use it.

Thanks.

Regards, 
-jrw
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 5:37pm
wattsjr

Sorry your are having trouble with this. Those were separate lines.  The fields might layout like this in a textbox object.

name
address1
address2 (or forumla field containg address field see note below)
city, state zipcode

If address2 is giving you trouble you might try inserting the field in a formula and make certain the 'Default Values for Nulls' is showing from the drop down box. This automatically converts a null in string to an empty string. That should resolve any issues caused by nulls.

Hope this helps, do let me know if continue to have problems.

Regards,

John W.
IP IP Logged
wattsjr
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wattsjr Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 10:30pm
jkwrpc

I think that what I may be missing here is that each line is in its own Detail sub-section. with the sub-section set (checked) to suppress when the sub-section is blank.  It that what is happening here?  Or is there some way that a single text object would suppress blank lines, in the same way that it can grow?

Thanks,
-jrw
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 12:36pm
wattsjr:

My concern is we may be talking about different things. So if I miss the point I apologize. All of the data fields  in my sample. go into a single textbox object. I generally size it (the textbox) to what I want but left justify the texbox object which takes care of the datafields it contains.   I cant recall ever having tried it with enabling the can grow functionality.  I use this most often in generating form letters, etc.

For me it has always worked.

Regards,

John W.
IP IP Logged
wattsjr
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wattsjr Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 10:23am

jkwrpc

Hi John,

I just couldn't let it go, so I kept digging until I found out where we were differing.  It’s all me. Even my oldest (CR6 – still in use, and please don’t ask…some jobs are just like that) version of CR has the “Suppress Embedded Field Blank Lines:” option in the Format Editor.  I just never saw it – or maybe I just didn’t know what it did. Certainly, I will be making use of it from here on in.

I’m also using CR in VS.NET 2003, CR 10 and now CRXI. It’s a real challenge keeping them straight.

Since I’ve always been employed as a one-man department and am self-taught, this forum has proved to be a real god-send.

Thanks for your help and patience.

-jrw
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version