Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Formatting issue - horizontal results Post Reply Post New Topic
ultraca

Online Status: Offline
Quote ultraca Replybullet Topic: Formatting issue - horizontal results
    Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 9:54am
Using Cr 2008.

I have a report that is displaying a set of users from a helpdesk system showing the count of tickets for the last year, by month.  I first created a group for the month, then a sub group of usernames to get the ticket count.

By default this report shows the data in two columns, stacked (vertically)

------------------------------Example-------------------------------
06\2010
John Smith      # of tickets
Jane Doe      # of tickets
Jane Smith      # of tickets

07\2010
John Doe      # of tickets
06/2011
John Doe      # of tickets
------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like for my report to display the data in a horizontal format (columns by month) like this:
Username           06/2011             07/2010          08/2010
John Smith      # of tickets          # of tickets    # of tickets
Jane Doe      # of tickets            # of tickets      # of tickets
Jane Smith      # of tickets          # of tickets    # of tickets
John Doe      # of tickets             # of tickets     # of tickets

Here is an actual sample of what it should look like. To get this report I wrote many, many formulas to calculate counts per user and month based on current date parameter as well as using groups and suppressing details to get the results. Ultimately found out some of my formulas were not accurate so I am trying to find a different, more SIMPLE way since I can easily pull the data I need, I just need to figure out the formatting.

I played around with the Section expert (format with Multiple columns) but its just ugly.  I cant seem to get each month to have its own column nor can I get all usernames in a single column. 

Any thoughts in getting me to the right type of formatting my current data without going the extra mile of creating formulas?

Thanks in advance!
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:34am
just some thoughts...

after thinking of hard ways to do it, why not a cross tabs report, that looks like what you are after.

or
using a stored proc or a middle tier, I would create the output table and populate it and then just present it to the report to display

now the harder ways...
you could build an array to for each column and populate them correctly via the formula

you build 1 array with a delimited string for each person and have a generic function that will parse the string (still at least 1 formula per column, but not alot of work in each formula [once you get the function correct])

hopefully one of these options will work for you.
IP IP Logged
ultraca

Quote ultraca Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 3:49am
Actually this was much easier then I expected. Of course part of the problem was my limited experience (I am currently taking a CR course) so I kinda jumped the gun on this.

I was able to accomplish my goal by using cross-tab then using the cross-tab expert and making my group options for each month of the close date which gave me my monthly columns and making my rows the analyst. 

I actually didnt even have to create any special formulas to get this working as needed.

Thanks for the help lockwelle!

Now onto the next challenge!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version