Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: a 1 is added to selected tables when added them Post Reply Post New Topic
aeromonte

Online Status: Offline
Quote aeromonte Replybullet Topic: a 1 is added to selected tables when added them
    Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 8:42am
Using Crystal 2008

When I add tables from our ERP system (Vantage Epicor 9) in database expert via ODBC, a one is added to the end of the table name.  I did not have this issue in Crystal XI.  It messes up things when I want to copy fields from another report to the new one.  Anyone have any idea why it would do this? 

If I try and remove the one by renaming, I get an Invalid Argument Provided error that says "contains a combination of characters which is not considered to be valid".  The table names are all text and do not have any funky characters - example: LaborDtl 
It changes the table name to LaborDtl1

Thanks!!
IP IP Logged
CircleD

Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 12:25pm
I've seen something about this in some paper work somewhere but right off I don't know where.I'll have to do a little research but if I remember right it has to do with duplicating tables but usually in the same report.
IP IP Logged
CircleD

Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 12:36pm
Is it adding _1 or 1 to the name? If _1 then it thinks you are trying to self link the fields as tables and it's creating an alias.you have to select the alias in the Database Expert dialog box and then pressing F2 on your keyboard to rename a table alias.
IP IP Logged
nix1016
Groupie
Groupie

Quote nix1016 Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 2:04am
Yeah, i think it happens with some versions of crystal reports and the only way to get around it is to rename the table in propercase. I.e. if the tablename = accounts and crystal reports renames it to accounts1, you can just rename it back to Accounts... quite stupid if you ask me but hey, it works :)
IP IP Logged
aeromonte

Quote aeromonte Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 5:15am
Ok, thanks CircleD and nix1016!  Crystal version 2008 was renaming the tables from LaborDtl to LaborDtl1.  A suffix of 1 was being added to every table I tried to add. 

It would NOT let me rename it by hitting F2/or right clicking and rename.  I would get an error box saying: Invalid Argument provided.  Details: The alias requested 'LaborDtl', contains a combination of characters which is not considered to be valid.  There was an "OK" button and would just take you back to the table name with the 1 suffix. 

I ended up uninstalling Crystal 2008 and reinstalling Crystal XI.  Everything works fine now...  I wish I didn't have to go backwards in Crystal versions, but I guess whatever works wins. 

Thanks again 
IP IP Logged
nix1016
Groupie
Groupie

Quote nix1016 Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 8:25am
It works with renaming as I do it quite often, you just need to rename it to a different case to what your table in the database is. So with 'LaborDtl', you'd rename it to 'labordtl' (without the uppercase letters) and it would allow you to save... which is why i find it totally stupid.
IP IP Logged
aeromonte

Quote aeromonte Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 9:18am
Ohh, gotcha.  That is stupid!  Thanks, I'll try it out.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version