Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Schedule a single report multiple times in BOE XI Post Reply Post New Topic
Iago
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Iago Replybullet Topic: Schedule a single report multiple times in BOE XI
    Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 11:28am

The last two jobs I have had have the same issue.

Once a report is created and Published to Crystal Reports Server or Business Objects Enterprise XI r2, how do I schedule that report for each client ID.  The report takes a Parameter of a Client ID.  I can run the report locally using C# and the ReportDocument class.  I want to created schedule objects on the Enterprise server for each client.  There may be a few hundred client IDs.  The cruel solution is to have a business user create all the schedules via infoview.  I can generate a collection of Client IDs in C# with much work.  I hope Mr. Bischof has a chapter or two on this subject in his next book.  A very common business requirement is to have the same report sent to all of our clients and have each report contain only that clients data.  Invoices for example.

IP IP Logged
IdoMillet
Groupie
Groupie

Quote IdoMillet Replybullet Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 5:16pm
Consider a 3rd-party tool as a solution (for a list of such tools, see http://www.kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html).

This is called report "bursting." My Visual CUT software provides this type of functionality.

- Ido

view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.
www.MilletSoftware.com
IP IP Logged
Iago
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Iago Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 6:57am
Thanks, but that product looks like a visual interface around the reportDocument class in the Crystal Reports.  I can see where it would be useful, but that is basically my existing solution.  My solution enables me to query a table for information on a client and use that recordset to feed the reportdocument object I create.   Brian's older book has some great information on the subject.  I am looking forward to his book in December.  However all of that work uses the Crystal Reports SDK and not the Enterprise SDK.  With the BO Enterprise product, I get such advantages, such as report history and a log of what happened on the Audit database.  Also the business user can then change an existing schedule, that is if they wish to hang themselves.

A few people have suggested somethink like what you suggested, I wish to leverage our existing investment as much as possible.
Thanks
IP IP Logged
Iago
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Iago Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 7:10am

SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(conString);

ReportDocument MyReport = new ReportDocument();

try

{

conn.Open();

SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sqlQuery, conn);

SqlDataReader reader = cmd.ExecuteReader();

int i = 0;

Boolean[] emailsent = new Boolean[1000];

for (int x = 1; x < 1000; x++)

{ emailsent[x] = false; }

while (reader.Read())

{

if (reader["notify_event"].ToString()== "ANNC" )

{

i++;

Console.WriteLine(i + " " + reader["sec_no"].ToString() + " " + reader[2].ToString() + " " + reader[3].ToString() + " " + reader["sub_no"].ToString()

+ " " + reader["add_cymd"].ToString() );

MyReport.Load(@"\\lgc-oma-rpt\reports\NOTSNOTBYSECv2.rpt");

MyReport.SetDatabaseLogon("xxxxxx", "xxxxxx", "lgc-oma-sql", "corpdata");

MyReport.SetParameterValue("sec_no", reader["sec_no"].ToString());

MyReport.SetParameterValue("AddDate", reader["add_cymd"]);

MyReport.SetParameterValue("rep", reader["rep"].ToString());

DestFolder destfolder = new DestFolder();

destfolder.myBaseFldr = @"\\jhill\c$\junk";

destfolder.CreateSubFolder((int)reader["sub_no"], "ANNC");

// Use new DLL here to set tempPDF

tempPDF = destfolder.FolderPath;

PDFReport = tempPDF + @"\" + reader["sub_no"].ToString() + "-" + reader["rep"].ToString() + "-" + reader["sec_no"].ToString() + "-" + i.ToString() +"-NOTS.pdf";

MyReport.ExportToDisk(ExportFormatType.PortableDocFormat, PDFReport);

CCEmail = " ";

if (reader.GetSqlBoolean(5) == true)

{

EmailPDF(reader, PDFReport, FromEmail, reader["NOTS_ToEmail"].ToString(), CCEmail);

emailsent[reader.GetInt32(4)] = true;

}

}

}

CheckForNoEmail(emailsent, FromEmail);

}

catch (Exception ee)

{

Console.WriteLine("error " + ee);

}

conn.Close();

Console.WriteLine("Out of stuff to do for today");

IP IP Logged
IdoMillet
Groupie
Groupie

Quote IdoMillet Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 7:15am
There are several significant differences between the approach you are discussing and what Visual CUT does.  For example, Visual CUT doesn't need a list of customers to work against -- it detects the list of customers in the report itself.  It doesn't run the report multiple times -- it burst it in a single pass.  It doesn't need development effort to set various values such as export file names and email options based on values in the report -- you just drag & drop fields & formulas from the report into these options.

Well, I'm getting carried away so I'll stop...  :o)
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.
www.MilletSoftware.com
IP IP Logged
Iago
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Iago Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 7:16am
I had a requirement to send an email to all clients that did not get an email today, so I used an Array to keep track of who did not get a report today.   I also needed to store the PDFs in a complex directory structure, so there is a large class not shown called DestFolder.  There is also a method to email the client.  So if you can look past my mess and see the MyReport Object, that is the key.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version