Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: SQL expressions and parameter issue Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
dbodell
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote dbodell Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 1:52pm
Happy to help. Email me @ dbodell@comcast.net
Thanks,
D. Bodell
IP IP Logged
dbodell
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote dbodell Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 6:11am
Hi. As a lead report developer at a company implementing Epic, I had the opportunity to handle all of the reporting and integration with Epic. I must say that I was disappointed with the way in which Epic and Crystal are integrated. The entire set up and implementation of Epic-Crystal integration is an arduous process that ultimately only allows you to push reports out to users on a scheduled basis. Users cannot run reports ad hoc or on demand at all. For this reason my company chose to implement a data warehouse (data marts) with merged legacy and Epic data and to use both BOE and Microsoft SSRS to do all reporting. We set up a website for user access to reports out of SSRS, we scheduled reports that were Crystal to run out of BOE and some users could run their own Crystal reports by using an inexpensive Crystal Viewer (there are many on the market and a few really good ones). I really don't understand Epic's entire way of dealing with reporting. The SQL database is poorly designed for efficient reporting, although in the 2010 version there will be a lot more data marts and that should help a lot.
There is documentation on the Epic Userweb site that gives you step by step instructions for setting up Epic-Crystal Integration. It involves some application set up, installation of BOE functionality on the report developers' machines, and a significant amount of build if you intend to use EC Integration to separate / burst reports out to individual users based on security. If the Crystal report is not set up exactly right, it will bomb out and you have to go through a pain in the butt process to rerun the report each time (remove the published report from BOE, make the fixes, run the batch job again to start the report, wait until it gets delivered to Hyperspace My Reports, etc.) If a report runs successfully and you need to rerun it, you may not be able to because of logic in Reporting Workbench that limits your ability to rerun the same report within a specified timeframe. If I can give you any more info, let me know.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version