Page  of 2 Next >>
foxy
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote foxy Replybullet Topic: Dynamic image URL
    Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 2:47am

Hi,

Is it possible to dynamically ammend an image URL based on the data returned?

We are hopefully attempting to bring GIS and BO together seamlessley! fingers crossed.

Cheers

Foxy

FOXY
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 10:34am
Yes, this is a new feature for CR XI that I wrote about on page 334 of my book. The Graphic object has a formula button on the Picture tab of the Format Editor. You can set it to a URL or a database field.

Also, I see that you are in the UK. I need to find someone who can post some images from my book on the Amazon.co.uk site b/c it won't let me since I live in the US. If you can post the pictures for me, please PM me and I will send them to you. I would really appreciate it.

Brian

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
somnath.roy

Quote somnath.roy Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 11:40am

can you kindly explain as to how we can achieve this

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 12:00pm
Sure. Choose Insert > Picture. Choose a default image to show and save it. Right-click on it and select Format Graphic. Go to the Picture tab and click the formula button for Graphic location. Enter a formula or url or field name and save it. Preview the report and it will show the image using whatever value is in your formula.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
foxy
Groupie
Groupie

Quote foxy Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 12:10am
Thanks for this brian, but I cant get it to work, it is just bringing back the default image every time.
It is just the last 4 digits of the URL that are changing based on a parameter in the report. The formula I have in the formula editor looks like this:

Edited by foxy - 24 Oct 2007 at 12:19am
FOXY
IP IP Logged
foxy
Groupie
Groupie

Quote foxy Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 2:56am

I have also tried just putting in the URL of the test image that you use in your book (below)

This still doesn't work, it returns the default image i have selected. Am I missing some settings that will enable this to work?

Edited by foxy - 24 Oct 2007 at 3:02am
FOXY
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 9:48am
It only shows the default picture when it can't find the URL specified. There really isn't anything else to do. What about mapping it to a local file on your computer? Maybe the report isn't able to connect to the internet for some reason...
IP IP Logged
foxy
Groupie
Groupie

Quote foxy Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 2:16am
Right, it works whenever I map the image to a file on my hard drive.

When I use a URL for the image, Crystal seems to be creating a new dial up connection in my internet options.

What options are there that I can change to stop crystal doing this, and force it to use my LAN connection?
FOXY
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 8:49am
I don't know how to do that. I have a similar problem with ANY internet connection when I have a dial-up connection installed. I have to go into the IE settings and tell it to only use the dial-up when I specifically tell it to. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. If its not to much trouble, I would delete the dial-up connection from your computer till you get the report tested and working then add it back afterwards. 
IP IP Logged
foxy
Groupie
Groupie

Quote foxy Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 8:53am
I dont need a dial up connection at all as my machine is on the company's network. Usually I would not have any dial up connection listed and the settings would say to never dial a connection.

But when I run the crystal report, a dial up connection is created in the internet options.

Is there no way to force crystal to use the LAN connection?
FOXY
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version