Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Print 1 page report twice with duplexing Post Reply Post New Topic
Kerminator

Online Status: Offline
Quote Kerminator Replybullet Topic: Print 1 page report twice with duplexing
    Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 10:16am

I have a scenario where I need to print a 1 page report (never goes over 1 page) on the front and back of a single piece of paper.  I'm calling the Crystall XI report from a VB.Net application.  I know how to turn on duplexing.

If I specify 2 copies with duplexing, I get 2 pieces of paper.  I'm thinking maybe I can grab the dataset twice that drives the report (via an SQL Union All) and maybe get the same report twice that way... anybody know a better way?
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 3:56am
the key question is: how is Crystal getting the dataset?

If CR is joining to the tables based on a parameter, you would need to join to a table that has 2 identical entries so that CR will double the data

IF CR is calling a stored proc, just have your stored proc double the data

if you are pushing the data to CR, you can have the stored proc do the doubling or your middle tier

HTH
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 3:57am
Some of it depends on what type of sections you're using.  You could duplicate every section that you have and then use suppression formulas to selectively suppress them.  So, for example, let's assume that you have one group with a single header and footer section and one details section.  You would do the following:

1.  Modify your group.  Turn on "Repeat Header on Every Page".  This will get you the group header for Page 2.
2.  Duplicate the details section and the group footer section.
3.  Go to the Section Expert.
4.  For the first detail section, click on the button to the right of "Suppress" (do NOT check the Suppress checkbox!) and enter the following:

Pagenumber > 1

5.  For the second detail section, click on the suppress formula button and enter the following:

Pagenumber = 1

6.  Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the group footer sections.
7.  For the first group footer section, turn on "New Page After".

This should get you close to what you want.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 4:02am
Dell,

That's not a trick I would have thought of, but very interesting. I'll have to try and remember it, just because it doesn't involve the actual duplication of the data...just tricking CR into repeating itself.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:34am
Thinking about it a bit further, though, it probably won't work if there are multiple detail records - you'd only get the last one on the second page and the group footer piece probably won't work either.

Another way to do this would be to use a subreport for the second page.  Put it in the report footer and make it look exactly like the main report.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Kerminator

Quote Kerminator Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 10:27am
Thanks to all for your suggestions.  And the winner is... using a subreport that duplicates the main report (I got it to work using that approach, so I didnt pursue the other possibilities very much...).  I appreciate all of you who took the time to answer.Clap
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version