Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Graphing, Regressions, and pain... Post Reply Post New Topic
krisgarcia1414

Online Status: Offline
Quote krisgarcia1414 Replybullet Topic: Graphing, Regressions, and pain...
    Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 5:29am
So I am trying to create a simple scatter plot/regression graph, and for some reason the regression line does not display after I right click on the series, go to "Trendlines", and add a regression line.

I Googled the problem, and it seems that Crystal can only handle regression lines in bar/line charts (WTF?!). Anyways, I created a line graph and formatted it so the lines are hidden and the data points show (so now the scaling is all messed up since every point is equidistant). I can get the regression lines to show, but when I select to display the formula for the line, it is displaying a slope of "0.0". My line is not horizontal, I am just dealing with percentages, so it is most likely a rounding issue.

Is there a way to change the rounding in the display formulas for regression lines? I am also peeved that I can't display a formula when I have more than 1 line active on the sheet (i.e linear regression and logarithmic regression) as it overlays 1 formula on top of the other!!! Is it something I am doing wrong, or is it an issue with crystal?

I have Crystal Reports XI Release 2.

Thanks.

Edited by krisgarcia1414 - 14 Sep 2012 at 5:30am
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 8:40am
Crystal does not have the best charting engine - it's not meant for the types of things that you're trying to do.

One option that you have would be to upgrade to Crystal 2008 or 2011 and get Xcelsius 2008 or SAP Dashboards 4.0 (same software - they changed the name between versions).  You would then create your chart in Xcelsius along with a Flash Variables data connection, export it to a Flash file, import the Flash into Crystal and use Crystal to provide the data for it.  I have some basic instructions for how to do this on the SAP Crystal Reports and Dashboard Design Facebook page here: http://on.fb.me/PFcbve.

Note:  It IS possible to do this in Crystal XI r2, but you would have to manually create the xml tags in your Crystal formulas.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
krisgarcia1414

Quote krisgarcia1414 Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 9:30am
I appreciate the response!

We were thinking of upgrading crystal to the 2011 version, are there any issues with the upgrade process that you know of? I'm worried the current reports we have could get ruined in the process... I've seen weird things happen with Crystal :/

If we decide NOT to upgrade, would you happen to have a link to any information on using XML tags in Crystal formulas?

Thanks again.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 11:10am
I have not seen any issues moving from XIr2 to 2008 or from 2008 to 2011 - I haven't done XIr2 direct to 2011.

The underlying internal formats of the .rpt files is very similar - I can open a report created in 2008 in XIr2 with a minor warning message.  The same holds true for opening a report created in 2011 from 2008.  So I consider this a fairly low-risk upgrade.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version