Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Is Volume 2 available yet? Post Reply Post New Topic
tconway

Online Status: Offline
Quote tconway Replybullet Topic: Is Volume 2 available yet?
    Posted: 27 Dec 2007 at 12:41pm

Brian

Many thanks for volume 1.  I've been using Crystal since my older brother got me started on Ver 5.  And like most Crystal users I know, only used what I needed.  This book is the kind where you find yourself saying, 'if only I knew that when I was doing...'

One other thing.  You do have the gift of teaching.  I've been disappointed more than once after putting down 50.00 for a programming book.  Too many authors think you have forever to take spend on long winded explanations, with code samples 4 pages long to show one simple piece of  code and then fail to give practical examples of how you might use what they are teaching.  Not so with Volume 1.  It seems you've been 'in the trenches' and written the book for those of us who are. 

So thanks for Volume 1.  Is Volume 2 soon to be released?  No one seems to actually have it?

Thanks

Tim

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2007 at 6:15pm
Thanks for the nice comments Tim! I appreciate it (and I agree with you that too many technical books drag on and on and then fail to give any practical examples). 

Anyway, Volume 2 is miserably behind schedule. My schedule has been too crazy with different projects to give it the time it needs. So I'm going to create a new section of the website where I will post chapters online as I write them and let people comment on them and post questions. That way, YOU can tell me what you want me to write about and also tell me when I need to clarify sections that don't make sense or need better examples. Thus, Volume 2 will be more of a two-way conversation between myself and the readers. I don't think anyone has ever done this before and I'm really looking forward to it! I expect to have the new section of the website up and running in a week or so. Then I'll let people vote and what they want me to write about next so that it truly gives people what they want.

Sorry for the delays, but I really hope that this works out and that this idea will give everyone a MUCH BETTER Volume 2 then I would have done on my own.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
tconway

Quote tconway Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 6:06am

Brian

Don't worry about the delay.  To me as a reader the quality and usability of the book is of far greater importance. 

I'll look forward to the chapter releases as they are posted. 

Thanks for all your hard work

Tim

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 8:29pm
Hey Tim,

Thanks for being so understanding about the delay. I feel really bad about it. I hope that the Volume 2 will live up to your high expectations. 

Brian
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version