Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Failed to Retrieve Data Post Reply Post New Topic
lclark

Online Status: Offline
Quote lclark Replybullet Topic: Failed to Retrieve Data
    Posted: 24 May 2013 at 2:52am
Hello!  I'm having some problems with a subreport/report and hoping someone can help.  Here's what I have:

My main report (Report A) uses a view and is grouped by a field called CustomerID.  I currently have 2 subreports in the main report (one is linked to Report A by CustomerID and the other by TaxID).  Those seem to be working fine. 

I have created another report (Report B) using another view along with a different database (however, one of the subreports I mentioned above is also using that same database so I don't think that's the problem).  When I run that report the data generates perfectly.  Report B is grouped by CustomerID also (the same CustomerID as the one used in Report A).

I place Report B into Report A as a subreport.  Without linking things the subreport generates all the data perfectly.  But when I link by CustomerID I receive the following:

Failed to Retrieve Data from the Database
Invalid Argument Provided

Thoughts?  I've tried to link by other things like CustomerNameFull (this is the same exact field on both reports) but get the same message.  Thanks in advance for help!
IP IP Logged
lclark

Quote lclark Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 2:47am
Anyone have any thoughts at all?  I just have no idea what the problem could be.  I've got 2 reports like this.  They're both similar but are using slightly different data, so I don't think it's the particular tables I'm using.  Anything at all you can provide would be great!!!!
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 6:47am
The only suggestion I can make is look at the SQL generated by the failing report and see if it will work in a program like TOAD (if it an MS-SQL DB, you could also use SQL Server Management Studio). 
IP IP Logged
lclark

Quote lclark Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 10:20am
Thanks kevlray, but I may need some direction on how to do that (I'm a pretty big novice when it comes to the behind-the-sceens stuff).
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 7:28am
I do not know what kind of database you are using (Access, MS-SQL, MySQL, Oracle).  TOAD is a product will connect to a variety of databases and allow you to write SQL code.  There are other products that may be able to accomplish the same thing (we just happen to use TOAD).  You will need to get well versed in the SQL language (most of it is pretty simple).  Crystal Reports generates SQL code that can be copied to another application (like TOAD).  This helps in the debugging process. 
IP IP Logged
lclark

Quote lclark Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 7:32am
Ok - thanks!  I think we've got some SQL training coming so maybe I'll wait for that.  Appreciate your help!!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version