Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: avoid sending email if blank report Post Reply Post New Topic
brown

Online Status: Offline
Quote brown Replybullet Topic: avoid sending email if blank report
    Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 3:47am
I have several reports that are auto emailed to different people. How do you avoid sending an email if the report is blank?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:16am
I assume you're scheduling the report in BusinessObjects or Crystal Reports Server. There are two ways I know of to do this.

The first way is to create a formula that will cause an error (such as division by 0) if there is no data. This will cause the schedule to fail and nothing will be sent out. The problem with this is that you still have to look for failed reports and determine why they failed to make sure that you're not missing a problem other than that there was no data.

The other way is to use a Publication. You don't have to use the bursting functionality in a Publication - you can schedule it to go to a specific list of people. Under Additional Options>>Delivery Rules you can tell it to only deliver when the report contains data.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
brown

Quote brown Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 5:56am
Thanks, I will check into both options.
IP IP Logged
Traceyc

Quote Traceyc Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 6:15pm
If your output is excel, you can use a blank report header and in section expert check 'New Page After' in Paging. In the CMC on the Recurring schedule, use Page Range 2 to 999 on the Formats tab.   And (of course) turn off any failure notifications.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version