Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Sorting on a custom with multiple columns Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
charlese

Online Status: Offline
Quote charlese Replybullet Topic: Sorting on a custom with multiple columns
    Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 7:17am
Hi,

I have got a report which is displaying fee detail information and I need to create a sort. 
My condition is as follows i.e. if there is no sort string I want to sort by work date and the sort string else I want to sort by work date and timecard orginal index.  I created a formulae like this

If IsNull ({ListofProfDetailTime.PresTimekeeper1__TkprDate__Title1__SortString}) then
    toText({ListofProfDetailTime.WorkDate}) & ToText({ListofProfDetailTime.Timecard1__OrigTimeIndex})
else
    toText({ListofProfDetailTime.WorkDate}) & ToText({ListofProfDetailTime.SortString})

Then in from the Report menu selected Record Sort Expert and choose my new custom field i.e. the formulae. 

However this does not work, report is not sorting  Can anyone please help me.  The datatype for Work date is datetime and the datatype for timecard orignal index is integer.  Hence that is why I am using ToText to convert it to a string.
However if I just have workDate in the formulae it works but as soon as I add the time card orignal index, it does nto work.

Kind Regards
Emma

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:33am
if you place the formula field in your details section does it properly display for every row?
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 9:44am
could there be a null in the time card original index?

as we all know, adding a NULL to anything is a NULL, and CR won't display an error, which is probably what DBlank was getting at by asking if the formula returns the correct information for every line of detail.

HTH
IP IP Logged
charlese

Quote charlese Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:24am
Hi,
I place the formulae in the detail section and the concatenation of work date and timecard orginal index is not working, it is printing nothing.  I have put the timecard original index on the detail to see it's value.  I can see it is displaying it correctly, there is no null values but the concatenation is not working.  In the report it is something like this :
Work Date      TimeCare Orignal Index      Concatenation
23/04/2013     7,208,97                          Nothing
29/04/2013     7,212,353                        Nothing

If IsNull ({ListofProfDetailTime.PresTimekeeper1__TkprDate__Title1__SortString}) then
toText({ListofProfDetailTime.WorkDate}) & ToText({ListofProfDetailTime.Timecard1__OrigTimeIndex})
else
toText({ListofProfDetailTime.WorkDate}) & ToText({ListofProfDetailTime.SortString})

The first part of this if statement is not working but the second part is working as I can see the concatenation of the formula on the report.

Is something wrong with this
please ?

IP IP Logged
charlese

Quote charlese Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:29am
Why would

return nothing ?  Is something wrong with this concatenation.  Work date is datetime and TimeCard1__OrigTimeIndex is an integer

However the second part i.e.
Text({ListofProfDetailTime.WorkDate}) & ToText({ListofProfDetailTime.SortString})
works fine and I can see the actual value properly concatenated.

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:36am
I know that it will sound redundant, but have tried a formula like:

perhaps, the concatenation is ok, perhaps it the the field {ListofProfDetailTime.PresTimekeeper1__TkprDate__Title1__SortString}...maybe it is not null, but an empty string.

debugging CR can be hard because you think the data looks one way, and it doesn't.

HTH
IP IP Logged
charlese

Quote charlese Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:49am
Ok I have tried this ... but still nothing... the first part of the if statement i.e. the concatenation of work date and timecard index is nothing..

If IsNull ({ListofProfDetailTime.PresTimekeeper1__TkprDate__Title1__SortString}) OR {ListofProfDetailTime.SortString} = '' then
    CStr({ListofProfDetailTime.WorkDate} & Cstr({ListofProfDetailTime.Timecard1__OrigTimeIndex}))
else
    CStr({ListofProfDetailTime.WorkDate} & Cstr({ListofProfDetailTime.SortString}))
IP IP Logged
charlese

Quote charlese Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:52am

Don't understand why concatenation of a datetime and integer is not working !!

Work Date    TimeCard Orignal Index   Concatenation
23/04/2013    7,208,97                       Nothing
29/04/2013    7,212,353                     Nothing

Why would this above not concatenate ????

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:52am
hmmm...

just create a formula that would display the concatenation that we think is not working. see if that displays correctly. If it does, then the next step is to display the value in the IF...and see what that value is
IP IP Logged
charlese

Quote charlese Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:55am
The second part of the statement is getting concatenated properly.  I can see these values on the report where 23/04/2013 00:00:00 is work date and 1 is the sort string
23/04/2013 00:00:001

23/04/2013 00:00:002

23/04/2013 00:00:003

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version