Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: "To many Dependents" & all data shifted next page Post Reply Post New Topic
Lamy

Online Status: Offline
Quote Lamy Replybullet Topic: "To many Dependents" & all data shifted next page
    Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 6:48am
G'day,
(Same report as the suppression issue & drop-down issue)

Background
I am working on a report in Crystal Reports XI (w/all update packs) on Win 7 64 bit.

The report uses 1 group based on a members SSN. The group header has text block labels for the columns below.

The detail section has the data in rows. Some users have multiple (Health) coverage types so the rows can repeat.

The group footer holds some text and data and below that a sub-report that is built identically as above but with the members dependents and their coverage. Members can have no dependents, dependents with no coverage or dependents with coverage.

Data comes from my own SQL commands in both the report and sub-report. Data is based on an SSN parameter & a report date parameter. I have 3 SQL commands under the report, one gets a dependent count, one gets a dependent ID and one is all the data on the member. All 3 use the same parameters and all 3 SQL are made up of 3 joined tables. The sub-report is one SQL with the same parameters and same 3 joined tables but just dependent data.

Issue:
One member has 5 dependents. The sub-report is therefore to long to fit in the available space on the first page so it shifts to a second page leaving a large empty area on the main page.

I am not the user, so I fear it will confuse the user when a member calls to discuss their coverage an mention dependents and the user is confuses because there are no dependents listed as far as they can see. I have added a dependent count that will show on the first page and a "Page # of #" at the bottom. Experienced users will understand this at some point, but I would prefer if the first couple of dependents would show on the first page and the rest on the second.

Any ideas?
Thank You, Migwetth, Gunalche’esh, Ha’w'aa, Danke

Kyle
Annalyst/Programmer

"If you shoot Wolves to save the Moose, then you shoot the Moose, you must be crazy or from Alaska"
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 7:02am
right click on the sub report
select format subreport
select Common tab
uncheck 'Keep Object together'
select OK
IP IP Logged
Lamy

Quote Lamy Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 7:21am
Sweet! That did it.

It was not a report stopper, but did irritate the daylight out of me as I knew there must be a way. I did uncheck the "Keep Together" trying to solve it, but I was doing it in the section expert of both reports. I never noticed the one when you right click the sub-report. Right idea, wrong place.

I just don't build these often enough.
Thank You, Migwetth, Gunalche’esh, Ha’w'aa, Danke

Kyle
Annalyst/Programmer

"If you shoot Wolves to save the Moose, then you shoot the Moose, you must be crazy or from Alaska"
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version