Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Export to Excel inc Macro Post Reply Post New Topic
infinitydreams

Online Status: Offline
Quote infinitydreams Replybullet Topic: Export to Excel inc Macro
    Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 1:55am
Hi

My company has recently introduced Remedy as a new helpdesk management application which uses Crystal Reports in the backend to produce reports.

The issue we have is when reports are exported to Excel the formatting is obviously all over the place and even with tweaks here and there it couldn't be sent straight to customers.

So is there a way of when you export a Crystal Report to Excel you include a standard Excel Macro? We could then create a simple Excel Macro and use the Auto_run command so that when a customer opens the file it re-formats into the correct layout and style.

Look forward to hearing from you!
IP IP Logged
Lugh

Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 4:24am
Er, I think you're approaching the problem from the wrong end.  Crystal is capable of exporting to Excel with most formatting options preserved.  Check into your export options.

If that doesn't help, perhaps you could give us an idea of what, precisely, is failing?

IP IP Logged
infinitydreams

Quote infinitydreams Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 1:51am
Problem is in Excel we have fairly specific formatting that includes charts and tables.

Via a Macro these can be updated but the idea was to be able to get all the data into an excel file that contains the macro and then auto sent out to customers. Them upon the customer opening the report it runs the macro and formats the report correctly.
IP IP Logged
rvink
Groupie
Groupie

Quote rvink Replybullet Posted: 04 Feb 2008 at 2:46pm
A lot of my reports are exported in Excel format. Basic font formatting (size, bold, color, date formats etc) are preserved, depending on the export options you choose. I usually export using "Microsoft Excel 97-2000 (XLS)" and keep the default options except that I like to see the grid lines.

Before exporting I take care that ALL fields and other objects in the report line up with each other - same width and height - otherwise Crystal puts a lot of extra rows and columns to fit all the varying field sizes and the file gets very messy.

As far as I know, you cannot put macros in the exported file, it's pretty much "raw" data.
IP IP Logged
IdoMillet
Groupie
Groupie

Quote IdoMillet Replybullet Posted: 04 Feb 2008 at 5:00pm
Consider a 3rd-party tool as a solution (for a list of such tools, see http://www.kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html).  My Visual CUT software allows you to automate the process of exporting and adding/replacing an existing tab inside a given excel file.  So you could build a "master" excel workbook with a Macro and then automatically replace or add a tab to it before emailing the resulting file. 

It sounds like you are doing this for multiple customers and the good news is that Visual CUT can also "burst" a single report, grouped by Customer, so that each customer gets only their data and the process cycles through all customer in a single pass.

- Ido
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.
www.MilletSoftware.com
IP IP Logged
jiss

Quote jiss Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 8:34am
Hi,

you need to convert a XLS document intoPDF ,then use it: http://www.trustdownload.com/System-Utilities/Text-Editors/Free-Excel-Xls-to-Pdf-Converter.html
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version