Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Adding Sections 2 & 3 in section 1 Post Reply Post New Topic
mlddmc

Online Status: Offline
Quote mlddmc Replybullet Topic: Adding Sections 2 & 3 in section 1
    Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:02am
I have been working on one aspect for this report off & on for a month!

There are 4 sections in this report and it has to occur in the order it does as it is a statement of Assets and Liabilities with trust income and expenses.

I need to add section 2 total to section 3 total and need that amount to appear in section 2. I tried using a Global CurrencyVar but am having trouble with placing parameters on the Var to get it to equal only the section 3 value. (and then I will place a reference to it in either details or heading so I can reference it in section two formula. Can someone help me? I'm not sure this will work so if someone has a better idea PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Thanks!
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:21am

shared variables and running totals canno tbe placed in a section above where all of the details that make up the total value- in essence you cannot reference something that does not exist before it exists. The variable might exist but the value you are setting the variable to does not.

You can reference a value gotten via a summary function (sum(field), average(field), etc.).
If your data is such as a field is identifying the type of value in one field and the amount in another you can create a formula to zero out the ones you don't want and sum it.
example: if table.type='Asset" then table.amount else 0
Sum this at your group level and it will only give you a sum of assets for group one. THis can be displayed anywhere in group one and the value will not change. It will only change in the next group.
Hopefully the logic of this gives you a possible solution.

The other option is to use sub reports and shared variables passing values back to the main report. This is less efficient.

Edited by DBlank - 05 Jan 2015 at 9:23am
IP IP Logged
mlddmc

Quote mlddmc Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:57am
That logic hadn't escaped me however I am looking for a kluge of some sort. I don't write what the report contains and regardless of the order am charged with coming up with a solution.

Oh well, I'll get back to it, thanks for your reply!!

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 10:01am
I thought I gave you two options to try but if neither of these work maybe if you explain why they do not another option may present itself.
IP IP Logged
mlddmc

Quote mlddmc Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 1:52am
I am working on the referenced option. As I split my day up between several items (I run the Data Warehouse Project as well as reporting etc.) It may take a bit.

Thanks for the options!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version