Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Multi-line Input string Parameters Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
statey603
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote statey603 Replybullet Topic: Multi-line Input string Parameters
    Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:17am
Crystal Reports 2013 allows me to declare an input parameter that is thousands of characters in length.

Does anyone have any idea why the input text box doesn't size itself to accommodate the number of characters specified by the string length [max minus min]?

Also, why can't a carriage return be handled by the input text box?

A string variable certainly can handle a CR, but as soon as a CR is entered in an input parameter textbox, the parameter screen considers the CR the end of the input.

I just want to allow entry of simple, multiple line text into a string.

I am very surprised to discover this limitation and even read that older versions of Crystal Reports supported multiple line input parameter s.

I appreciate any workarounds that are suggested.
-bill
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 3:21am
Can you describe your data set that would make sense for a user to hand type in over one thousand characters and those characters actually match a data set as a useful way to filter? Why would you not just use a multi-select option from a drop down?
IP IP Logged
statey603
Groupie
Groupie

Quote statey603 Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 3:56am
Sure thing.

We are using Crystal Reports to generate letters to clients. Client information [name, address, case info, etc.] is pulled into the letter from the database. The letters have some input parameters where the worker inputs text specific to the client situation, such as the reason that the client's services are being discontinued, etc. Sometimes this might be a paragraph of text. This information is NOT stored in the database.

I do not know of any other way to modify the text of a report/letter. We have tried exporting to editable MS Word but Crystal loses page formatting. We also tried exporting to Rich Text, which does not lose page formatting, but the font and section sizes get screwed up. So our only alternative is to enter the text up front.

Thanks

Edited by statey603 - 09 Jan 2018 at 3:58am
-bill
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 3:59am
I see. You are not using it for filtering but rather to augment the out put for data that you could not pull from your EHR. Correct?
IP IP Logged
statey603
Groupie
Groupie

Quote statey603 Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 4:14am
DBlank,

Yes, that is correct.

One way to accomplish what I need would be to store the text that the users need to type in the database and then just pull it into the report, but that requires adding screens to our application.

I do not understand why the Crystal's Input Parameter dialog screen is so inflexible. Ideally I think we optionally should be able to have more control such as change the size of the screen, the size of each input parameter box and most importantly, allow multi-line string input. I can dream..........

Thanks,
Bill
-bill
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 4:35am
which version of crystal are you using and what is the way the users are executing reports?
IP IP Logged
statey603
Groupie
Groupie

Quote statey603 Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 5:56am
The reports/letters are being created by the development group using Crystal Reports 2013 SP10. These reports reside on a Crystal Reports Server [BI 4.0 SP4].

The users launch the Crystal Reports via 'URL reporting' that is implemented in a Windows application developed using PowerBuilder 12.6.

-bill
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:39am
Maybe play around a bit with HTML formatting and an .rtf export that could be edited in Word (or the like).
In earlier versions of CR I have created one large text box that compiles the 'text' as HTML. Set the field to interpret the string as HTML to get the formatting into it. I think it might hold the formatting better when it is exported as an rtf.

I would insert into the location of string the missing content (where you were using a run time parameter) with things like "<b>ADD YOUR IDEAS HERE</b>" so when the item was exported they could do the editing in Word but easily see what still needed to be altered.

Test a small version out to see if it works for what you need to do.
IP IP Logged
statey603
Groupie
Groupie

Quote statey603 Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:37am
I tried export to Word but the page formatting is lost. Another Crystal Reports limitation. So, if, for example we have a letter that is more than one page, the page formatting that you see in the viewer is not applied to the Word document and we end up with letterhead on pages we don't want it on, etc.

I tried export to RTF which did not lose the page formatting but the section sizes were essentially locked to the size of the report section text when the report was generated [before manually adding more text]. In order to insert a paragraph of text into a section, I need to manually resize the section and guess what.....the sections below it do not move down on their own. So it means having to move each underlying section, resize all sections that need modified text and then enter the text. It was a formatting nightmare.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the exports change the size of the font too.

I pretty much think I exhausted all of the export options that I could identify.

Perhaps I missed something but I scoured the forums and documentation and those were the only options I could find.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by statey603 - 09 Jan 2018 at 10:42am
-bill
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 2:27am
I tried to handle the section issue by changing it into one giant HTML field that as the only item that is displayed. I used the HTML as a way to manage the formatting and within that one field. That alleviates the issue of when a user is adding the missing content to the exported version of it not 'moving' the sections below it.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version