Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Is there no way to copy and paste a subreport? Post Reply Post New Topic
wanderingbob

Online Status: Offline
Quote wanderingbob Replybullet Topic: Is there no way to copy and paste a subreport?
    Posted: 19 Feb 2008 at 9:00am

I am using Crystal Reports XI, Release 2.  Although my reports are integrated with a large Visual Basic .NET 2005 project, I am not using the integrated report designer - I am using the standalone Crystal Reports environment for report design.

I have a report that includes several similar, but slightly different subreports.  When I add such a subreport, it would be convenient to copy one of the existing subreports within the main report, paste it, then go into that new subreport and only have to make the changes required for the slight differences between the subreports.

To date, I can't find a way to do this, so I have to build the new subreport.  Although I can copy and paste elements from another subreport, if the subreports have multiple group headers and footers, there will be many elements to copy, paste, and adjust, which can be very time-consuming.

Is there no way to copy and paste a subreport within the same main report?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2008 at 11:35am
I think you can save a sub-report as a stand alone report and then when you add a new sub-report object, tell it to use that existing report. I haven't tried this myself, but give it a shot and I'm 90% certain that it will work.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2008 at 12:16pm
I just tested this out and it works fine.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
wanderingbob

Quote wanderingbob Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2008 at 12:27pm
Thank you for the tip - this does work.  The only extra step required is to link the subreport to the main report after creating it.

Thank you,
Bob
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2008 at 10:57pm
Glad it works! I discuss many tips and tricks for working with subreports in Chapter 9 of my book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version