Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Crystal 8.5 to XI & .NET Post Reply Post New Topic
mikebird
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote mikebird Replybullet Topic: Crystal 8.5 to XI & .NET
    Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 12:58pm
I"ve been using Crystal since 2001 but never heard of Crystal .NET, and I've net used the .NET Framework, so can someone tell me which is the older and newer and which is used for what? I really have no idea. Is .NET what I should be learning, or am I OK with XI? What does the .NET do?

Thanks
Mike
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 1:29pm
Your post is a bit confusing because you never mentioned what your goal is. If you just want to create reports, then Crystal Reports is all you need. If you want to build a website (or Windows application) and have reports as just one piece of that website, then you would use .NET to build the website and integrate reports into it.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
mikebird
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikebird Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 2:03pm
Well absolutely then!!

Why has Crystal Reports got that .NET label slapped all over it? As far as I know it's for making reports, not websites or applications! It's not ASP or C#! Crystal is the turntable, not the CD player, not the amplifier, tuner or set of speakers! Why bolt on other bits to it? Let it do its job! I'm confused here.

My goal varies. I'm both a DBA, database developer, legacy migration expert and a report writer, depending on the contract and project I'm involved in at any time. But my tools involve ORACLE, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MS Report Services / Crystal, Visual Studio, etc, but don't understand how .NET got into Crystal. Aren't there all kinds of website and app development tools?

It's like opening the boot of the car and finding an aircraft carrier ship and a bullet train in there. A dolphin in the local swimming pool. What is that doing there?

I'm sure you can explain.
Thanks
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 2:25pm
That's a funny post.

I think they slap .NET on it for marketing purposes. I remember when MS first created .NET, their marketing department slapped ".NET" on software that didn't even use it! .NET uses many third-party controls and products as part of its platform and Crystal Reports is just one of them. I think the confusion comes from the message being jumbled in product literature.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version