Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: When is Insert Summary not available? Post Reply Post New Topic
sirlansa

Online Status: Offline
Quote sirlansa Replybullet Topic: When is Insert Summary not available?
    Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 1:17pm
[I'm using standalone Crystal Reports 2008, but didn't find another logical place to post this question]

Is Insert Summary not available under certain circumstances for formulas?
I'm trying to sum(@formula) but Insert doesn't even appear on the rt-click menu for the control. Some formulas have it but the ones I want DON'T! On the Insert Menu dropdown, Insert Summary only lists a few formulas in my report, again not the ones I'd like to sum.

The formulas I want to Summarize appear in the detail records and produce a numeric value. The only thing unusual is that the formula I can't sum uses other formulas in the calculation. Is there a restriction on summarizing nested formulae?
Sir Lansa
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 4:05pm
This has to do with the 2-Pass Report Processing Model. Basically, all summaries are performed in the second pass and only in the second pass. Thus, you can't do a summary of a summary b/c CR won't know which one to do first. Summaries can only be based on data that is calculated in the first pass (raw data, simple formulas, etc.). If your formula has any type of summary calculation in it, or isn't a simple formula based on raw data, then you can't do a summary of it.

I discuss this in more detail on pages 47-50 or my book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version