Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Linked Tables - Basic question Post Reply Post New Topic
rboursaw

Online Status: Offline
Quote rboursaw Replybullet Topic: Linked Tables - Basic question
    Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 7:10pm
When creating a new report which utilizes multiple tables and you arrive at the part of the wizard which shows the link relationships....  What does this apply to? 

Meaning.....

Let's say the tables in question have no key constraints setup.  It appears that Crystal is taking a stab (right or wrong) as to what items should be linked between the tables.  Can I modify the relationships?  If so, does this change the actual DB or is it just self contained within the report that I am creating?

Basically, I want to know if changing information on this screen actually modifies the DB or not.

Thank you all for your assistance.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 8:06pm
Yes, Crystal is just taking its best guess on what the links are. It looks for things like primary keys, indexed fields, matching the names up, etc. It is wrong often and you can delete the links and make your own.  It only effects the SQL query that CR uses to pull data from the database. It has no impact on the database.

I have tons of tips and tricks for optimizing database performance in my Encyclopedia book. You can find out more about my books at Amazon.com or reading the Crystal Reports eBooks online.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version