Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Group box vs SQL Reporting Services Bookmark box Post Reply Post New Topic
petermeadit

Online Status: Offline
Quote petermeadit Replybullet Topic: Group box vs SQL Reporting Services Bookmark box
    Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 2:45am

Hi,

My name is Peter Mead. I have started a job where they have a bunch of Reports written using SQL Reporting Services. My job is to convert these reports in to Crystal Reports to be used in an Enterprise Reporting methodology.

The first problem I have is that SQL Reporting Services viewer has a Bookmark box down the left hand side. This Bookmark box looks like a Group box but does not function in the same way. SQL Reporting Services designer allows for the creation of any definable bookmark to be placed in this Bookmark box.

How can I replicate or emulate this Bookmark box?

Thanks in Advance,

Peter Mead : www.petermeadit.net
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 11:24am
Hi Peter,

Unfortunately I haven't seen a bookmark feature in CR.

Can you tell us why your company is switching from SSRS to CR? This would be very helpful for people who are debating which reporting platform to use.

Thanks,

Brian

IP IP Logged
petermeadit

Quote petermeadit Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 2:35pm
Hi Brian,
SSRS is the company’s preferred reporting package. However some clients of the company will only accept reports that are developed using Crystal Reports.

The team manager has fully developed a suit of reports in SSRS and they want to replicate as much as possible.

Another feature that I have tried to replicate is the ability to add Clickable Expandable/Collapsible Regions within the report. These sections have a +, - to click on and then the section dynamically expands/collapses to reveal/hide the content within the report.

Any ideas how this behavior could be replicated?

Thanks,   

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 3:40pm
You can create groups and the group can either be hidden or visible. When the user clicks on the group header it can expand the group detail to be visible. Usually groups are based upon report data, but you can mimic a fake group with formulas to simulate what you are looking for.

Not sure if this helps, but report parts let you break up a report into different objects and then treat each object seperately. You can view these objects without looking at the rest of the report. You can also use report objects to add navigation to a report (similar to your bookmarks?). Here is a link to a PDF file which gives you more info on Report Parts.

http://support.businessobjects.com/communitycs/technicalpapers/cr9_report_parts.zip.asp
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 5:14pm
Crap. I just typed in a whole bunch of stuff and my browser lost it (and I need to run). Damn. Anyway, the short of it is to right-click on an object and select Format. Then click on the Hyperlink tab and click help. After some digging it tells you the steps for linking to other places in your report. I haven't done this before, so I need to study it as well.

HTH,

Brian
IP IP Logged
petermeadit

Quote petermeadit Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 6:08pm

I feel like I need to go in to more depth with these two main topics so I have started two new topics one called ‘Expandable/Collapsible Regions within the report’ and the other: ‘Linking to other places in your report’. I’d love to continue the discussion on these topics.

Thanks so much,

Peter Mead

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version