Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: How to Build a BOM Report Post Reply Post New Topic
bucky7199

Online Status: Offline
Quote bucky7199 Replybullet Topic: How to Build a BOM Report
    Posted: 08 May 2008 at 1:06pm

Does anyone know how to build a Bill of Materials report in Crystal? Or can someone send me a copy of their BOM report. I am having a hard time building one.

Thanks

Dan

Dan S.
IP IP Logged
Lugh

Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 5:01am
Well, it somewhat depends on what you mean. 

There is no single format to a BoM that I am aware of.  When I created one (in Access, not Crystal), I just copied the existing format the company was already using.  It was fairly straightforward.

Generally, it's simply a matter of doing a join between an Orders table, an OrderParts table, and a Parts table (assuming your database is set up along those lines).  Since all the Orders information will be the same, you can put it up in the Report Header/Footer (or put it in a top-level Group Header/Footer, if you want to be able to print multiple orders at once).  Your Details section is just the list of parts and quantities.

Now, if the issue is with assemblies (i.e., parts that contain other parts, all of which need to be listed on the BoM, preferably in some kind of tree form), then you have a trickier situation.  It's a pretty classic one, though.  IIRC, Brian's book has a section addressing it.

If you could give us more specific questions, we might stand a better chance of helping you solve your issues.

IP IP Logged
bucky7199

Quote bucky7199 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 6:10am
Ok thanks. Here are some more specifics. The user will enter a part number and then, the report will list all of the subparts or subassemblies of the part, the onhand quantitiy of that part and its price. I have done alot of research on this and, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like in order to get the subassemblies of the part I am going to have to create aliases of the part table I need and daisy chain them together. I really don't understand what that means. Anyway I have a Progress database. What page of The Crystal Reports Encyclopedia talks about BOM Reports, I have looked and I don't see anything.

Thanks
Dan S.
IP IP Logged
Lugh

Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 4:56am
It's under Hierarchical Reports, beginning on p.115 (and having more information beginning on p.152).  Brian actually uses the org chart example rather than the subassembly example, but it's the same principle.

IP IP Logged
bucky7199

Quote bucky7199 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:21am
Ok thanks, I will give it a try.
Dan S.
IP IP Logged
bucky7199

Quote bucky7199 Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:52am
I don't think this is going to work Lugh. In the example in the book the employee employer relationship is one to one no matter how many levels you go down. In my situation I have kits or assemblies that contain a part that may be in other assemblies so its a one to many type of relationship in that instance. If i used hierarchical grouping I would only get one assembly even if there was more than one. Someone suggested creating as many aliases of my PartMtl table for as many levels as I have. It involves daisy chaining tables. Do you know anything about that?
Thanks.
Dan S.
IP IP Logged
tpc2884

Quote tpc2884 Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2008 at 10:11am

I am new to crystal reports do any one know how to find out what table a report is link to

IP IP Logged
Lugh

Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2008 at 10:26am
Sure.  That's relatively easy.  You just add the table to your report multiple times (in your case, once for each level of hierarchy).  Be sure to alias them intelligently, so that it is easy for you to tell which copy of the table belongs to which level.  The "daisy chaining" is just a matter of connecting the links in such a way that the foreign key of each table is linked to the primary key of the table above it (remember to use outer joins).

IP IP Logged
bucky7199

Quote bucky7199 Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:59am
Ok thanks for your help. Let me play around with the daisy chaining and I'll get back to you.
Dan S.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version