Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Why Do I Get A Query Error Stating Incomplete Quer Post Reply Post New Topic
hei777

Online Status: Offline
Quote hei777 Replybullet Topic: Why Do I Get A Query Error Stating Incomplete Quer
    Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 10:12pm
hello,
can't seem to have a hold of the right syntax in the formula workshop>sql expression. i can't even write the correct syntax for just selecting a field from a table. what's the right format of syntax in crystal reports (sql expression)?

oh, i'm a new member by the way, seasons greeting to you all Smile

P.S. pls help me, i really need it now. i'm at the office ^^;

Edited by hei777 - 21 Dec 2008 at 10:19pm
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 9:45am
can you give a more specific example of 1 thing you are trying to do?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 2:23pm
SQL expressions generally use the syntax of the database instead of Crystal syntax (there are some exceptions, though...)  They also have to be written using a field/fields from one or more tables that have already been added to the report using the same schema_owner.table_name.field syntax that Crystal uses for its query, which is what you get when you double-click on the field name in the SQL Expression Editor.

You cannot do a select statement in a SQL Expression.  If you need a field from a table that's not included on the report, you need to go to the Database Expert and add the table to the report that way either by selecting it or by adding a command through the Database Expert.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
hei777

Quote hei777 Replybullet Posted: 06 Jan 2009 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by hilfy

SQL expressions generally use the syntax of the database instead of Crystal syntax (there are some exceptions, though...)  They also have to be written using a field/fields from one or more tables that have already been added to the report using the same schema_owner.table_name.field syntax that Crystal uses for its query, which is what you get when you double-click on the field name in the SQL Expression Editor.

You cannot do a select statement in a SQL Expression.  If you need a field from a table that's not included on the report, you need to go to the Database Expert and add the table to the report that way either by selecting it or by adding a command through the Database Expert.

-Dell

ooooooooohhhh...! that's why!i was loosing my mind...Dead
thanks!Clap
IP IP Logged
hei777

Quote hei777 Replybullet Posted: 06 Jan 2009 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by DBlank

can you give a more specific example of 1 thing you are trying to do?

i was going to do a query, i thought syntax in ms access and crystal are the same. Pinch
anyway, thanks, i solved my problem Big%20smile
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version