Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Report and users problem Post Reply Post New Topic
imane_awad

Online Status: Offline
Quote imane_awad Replybullet Topic: Crystal Report and users problem
    Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 11:39am
Hi everyone, I'm using crystal report 8.
When I log to the PC using normal user account  (not administrator) and try to view the report, i get this error "Cannot open SQL Server", but if I use the administrator account, the report is working correctly.
I've tried it using both Windows Vista and Windows XP.
What are the exact privileges or permissions I should assign to the user to be able to view the report? Are there some temporary files created at runtime when generating the reports, if so, where is it located exactly ?
This is soooooooo urgent, can anyone help?
Regards,
Imane Awad
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 1:47pm
This looks more like a database connection issue than a Crystal permissions issue.  How are you connecting to SQL Server?  Has the SQL Server client software been installed so that the non-admin user has access to it?  What type of connection are you using - ODBC or OleDB?  Does the user have rights to access that type of connection?  Is there an error number that comes up with the message that might be a SQL Server error that you could lookup? 

For Crystal, at a minimum, the user needs to be able to add/update/delete files in the Temp (or Tmp) folder that is designated in the environment variables.  This is usually %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp, but if it's set to something else, that might be causing the problem.  Crystal does a lot of swapping to disk when generating reports.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
imane_awad

Quote imane_awad Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 2:40pm
Thank you for your reply.
I'm using ODBC connection, other modules in my application that retrieve, insert, update and delete records in the database are working correctly, only the reports are not working.
Regards,
Imane Awad
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version