Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Show value if equal to a value Post Reply Post New Topic
sci4ever

Online Status: Offline
Quote sci4ever Replybullet Topic: Show value if equal to a value
    Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 2:34pm
Environment: Crystal Reports 11 with Oracle database

I have a report that I am building to show all projects we have worked over the past few years.  My company wants to show the Superintendent's name for the project (if it's available).  I had to retrieve the values for this from a field that also contains the names of other people who worked on the project, so it's not like it is just a field called Superintendent. 

FYI - I created a Formula Field that combines the first and last name into a field I've labeled as Superintendent. 

There is another field called Role Code that works in tandem with the Contact field above.  This field is equal to SUPT when it's a Superintendent. 

My Problem:  
When i run the report, it repeats the job name the same number of times as there are people who worked on the project. 

Job #         Name                     Superintendent           Role Code
1                Jones Building        Sam Adams                 SUPT
1                Jones Building        Henry Franktown        PM
1                Jones Building        Betsy Covington         OWNER
2                Invesco Stadium    Pat Bowlen                 OWNER
2                Invesco Stadium    Mike Shannahan         SUPT
3                Coors Brewery       Nathan Smith              OWNER
4                Coors Brewery       Adolph Coors              PM
Here is what I want to do:
Job #         Name                     Superintendent          Role Code
1                Jones Building        Sam Adams                SUPT
2                Invesco Stadium    Mike Shannahan        SUPT
3                Coors Brewery       Not Available    (show N/A because I don't know who the SUPT is)

Where am I now?
I was successful in suppressing the records unless this field was equal to SUPT, but that did not deliver the results I needed.   I ended up with 43 records that met this criteria versus the 900+ records that should appear. 

All I want is to show the Superintendent's name if it's available while only listing the project one time.  If the Superintendent's name was not available, I would like it to say Not Available as shown above. 

Please help as I am stumped :)  Please be gentle as I am pretty new to Crystal Reports 11

Thanks,
Jerad
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 3:08pm
You've told us about the specific fields but not the table(s) that contain them.  By "I had to retrieve the values for this from a field that also contains the names of other people who worked on the project" do you mean that one field contains multiple names all in the same field, or do you mean that it's a field in a separate table and multiple records contain the information?

If it's the latter case, you can do the following:

1.  Make the link between the project table and the people table be a left outer join FROM project TO people.

2.  In you Select Expert, you'll need to enter a formula that looks something like this:
(IsNull({people.Role_Code}) or ({people.Role_Code} = "SUPT"))

This should get you the projects that don't have superintendents along with the ones that do.

For your report, create a formula for the superintendent's name that looks something like this:

if IsNull({people.Role_Code}) then
  "Not Available"
else
  <however you're putting together the name.>

-Dell
IP IP Logged
sci4ever

Quote sci4ever Replybullet Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 4:39pm
Thank you so much for the reply. I will give this a shot tomorrow morning when I return to the office. This seems to make perfect sense after reading your explanation.

The table you refer to has a record with the project name and the person's name. So if I had 50 people work on a single job, then I would have 50 records in the database.

The table that has the people's names is different than the one that has the project number and name.

PM_Contacts has the contact information.
PM_ProjectTable has the project information.

Again, thanks so much for your valuable time. I will try it tomorrow.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version