Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: WYSIWYG In Preview and Designer Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
scotthereld

Online Status: Offline
Quote scotthereld Replybullet Topic: WYSIWYG In Preview and Designer
    Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 10:15am
Hello,

New to this site, but 2 yrs of CR .NET (XI R2) development.  Question is : How to get the Preview and Designer Display to resemble the final output.  We use a C# application to build a flat dataset (ADO.NET XML) that is used to generate the report.  When designing the report containing 4-5 paragraphs of hard coded text, the text boxes the hold the text NEED to be wider than the page in order for them to be rendered properly with call in VS2005;"rpt.ExportToDisk(ExportFormatType.PortableDocFormat, LocalPDF)".

The PDFs are fine, but debugging when the screen display and preview look all messed up ...
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 1:52pm

I've not run into this issue with PDF exports.  What fonts are you using?  Are they translating into a different font on export?

In the page setup for the report, do you have it set to "No Printer (optimize for screen display)"?

Other than that, there is no way of really controlling the format of the export.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
scotthereld

Quote scotthereld Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 2:51pm
Thank you for the reply ...

I do have the "No Printer (optimize for screen display)" set. The crazy thing is that the PDF output is in Ariel 9 (perfect, I think so...)as planned, the screen is some other font, like Ariel Narrow 10 point.  This makes the text in the report display (and the output in "Preview" display) all run together....

... It's not the output that is the problem, it's the designing and preview of the results... I have to run the App to the bitter end to see whether I have the text properly spaced, etc ...
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 6:42am
Is this a web app or a WinForms app?

-Dell
IP IP Logged
scotthereld

Quote scotthereld Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 7:26am
I'ts a WinForms app....but the issue lies in the C.R. designer.  The PDF output, as I mentioned is exactly what we want, in the design / report creating phase.  I would have thought that the C.R. design display or at least the "Preview" would be WYSIWYG ..... it's not.  The paragraphs of text, when 'Previewed' run off the page past the right margin, the overlap graphics, and even look like a different point size.....like I said .. crazy !
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 8:39am

Actually, we're saying the same thing, just coming at it from different directions.  The designer and viewer ARE WYSIWYG, it's the export that's not.  So, but configuring to get the export to work correctly, what you actually see on the screen is not what you want.

What you see in the designer/viewer is formatted for Crystal and for printing.  It "knows" nothing about PDF format.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
scotthereld

Quote scotthereld Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 10:13am
Understood ...However, if the report were to look like what I see on the screen, it'd be a mess ! ... The text paragraphs are being displayed to the right of the right margin (off the page) on my screen in the Designer mode.  The HTML preview simply cuts the data off and is NOT representative of the actual output.  "What I see is no where near what i get" .....

Thank you for your input ...
IP IP Logged
fogliluc

Quote fogliluc Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2009 at 6:54am
Hi all ,

I have the same problem !!!

Someone has fix the problem ???
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2009 at 7:00am
There is no real fix - the issue is in the export functionality which has always had formatting problems.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
fogliluc

Quote fogliluc Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2009 at 7:16am
How i can solve it !!! Can i disable the export functionality !!!

this is an example ...

Edited by fogliluc - 11 May 2009 at 7:44am
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version