Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Database Tracing? Post Reply Post New Topic
vesperka

Online Status: Offline
Quote vesperka Replybullet Topic: Database Tracing?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 6:55am

I'm trying to setup a report that gives an application name and shows all the applications that it needs to run. Right now I have a database of application profiles that shows what each application requires, but I want to "trace" this data, if you will.

For example, let's say App1 requires App2 to run. In App1's profile, there is a field that mentions App2. Then, in App2's profile let's say it requires App3 to run. My goal is to produce a result so that when somebody looks up App1, they will see it needs App2 AND App3 to run.

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 7:07am
Maybe Heirarchical Grouping will work for you here. Hard to tell without seeing the data setup.
However, you may run into problems as it sounds like a single row may end up in more than one grouping which is not allowed. Take a look into this to see...

Edited by DBlank - 29 Apr 2009 at 7:17am
IP IP Logged
vesperka

Quote vesperka Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 7:23am
Here's a look at what I have so far (there isn't a lot of data, this is just a mock-up)

I imagine this will be tricky because applications will be required more than once, and sometimes we have 2-way requirements (AMD Workstation needs Comprise and Comprise needs AMD Workstation, for example).

A hierarchy is what I would like in the end - We'd start off with the AppName, and then clicking the + sign would drop down to applications that it directly requires, and then another + sign would drop down to show applications that are 2 steps away, etc...

Logically this seems doable. For instance, we see Comprise needs Director/Pol Track and AMD Workstation (the left column is the App and the right column shows its dependencies) Could I write a statement such as:

If AppDependency (not bold) exists in the left column (bold), then Display its Dependencies

If
IP IP Logged
vesperka

Quote vesperka Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 7:59am

http://www.showrides.net/fullex.jpg

There's a better screenshot showing what I have now. Basically, you can see the main group I have containing Apps that have listed requirements (Director/Pol Track, Comprise, and AMD Workstation).

Then I just have it display Application_Requires_List - AppName: String to show all the dependencies for those applications. I'm stuck now in that I can't get it to display the dependencies for the right applications.

For example, Comprise's hierarchy would ideally look like this

Comprise
   -AMD Workstation
         -Comprise
   -Director/Pol Track
          - OMNI Database
          - Select MIS

I don't know how to get it to display the 3rd level in this hieararchy in respect to the 2nd level.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2009 at 8:23am
If you still need help with this can you post some raw sample data?
Also is this all in one table or are you joining the data from more than one table in some way?
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version