Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Recommended Color Schemes Post Reply Post New Topic
Jolene

Online Status: Offline
Quote Jolene Replybullet Topic: Recommended Color Schemes
    Posted: 07 May 2009 at 9:14am

Is there documentation or research available regarding what colors are best to use in a report?  Which font colors are easiest to read, which background color to use, how they affect the user, etc?

I currently have a report with a pea soup green background and red font that makes me ill...and red on green in hard to see...at least for me.

I'd like to request the report writer to change the color scheme, but would also like some credible information to back up my request.  Unfortunately I don't have access to modify this report or it would be a done deal.

Thanks so much for your help.
Jolene
IP IP Logged
rahulwalawalkar

Quote rahulwalawalkar Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2009 at 1:29am
Hi

I use Arial 10 font for details section and Arial 9 for headers with bold style
font color is black and white background ,

for Headers background I use faint shade in SILVER i.e you need to have custom color

Hue   160     Red    221
Sat    0         Green 221
Lum  208      Blue    221

For Background use this color
Hue 154        Red    202
Sat  134        Green 208
Lum 208        Blue    240

if you need to have background color or default color which is white is always good.....

cheers
Rahul
IP IP Logged
crystalsupport

Quote crystalsupport Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2009 at 5:33am
Hi jolene,

Normally the fonts used in report is verdana and font–size =8, anyway, the font-size and color, these are all are depends on the requirement of report and different section of the report like Report header section, Page header section, details section etc.

Regards,

Crystal Support Team
Reporting House Inc.
http://www.reportinghouse.com

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2009 at 6:46am
Most reports I think are basically black, white and gray, because most reports are printed on b/w laser printers.

I would agree with you that red on green is a poor choice of colors, even for the color blind(which I am to a degree). 

I don't think that there is a standard, but I am tend to use arial, but it is because I like it.  The font depends on how much info you are trying to cram into a report and how big the paper is (report requirements).

If there is color in my reports it is a colored line or set of lines, again because most reports are printed in black and white.  I have done shadings to differentiate different parts of the report (like alternating rows) and been told by the client that they don't want to use that much toner and to remove it, even though I think the report is harder to read, so color toner would have been out in a flash.

Hope some of this helped.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version