Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Best way to offer reports to clients? Post Reply Post New Topic
pierfun

Online Status: Offline
Quote pierfun Replybullet Topic: Best way to offer reports to clients?
    Posted: 17 May 2009 at 8:15am
Hi,

I just started reading CR encyclopdia XI and have just a fundamental question.

My goal is to offer existing clients of a sales solution additional, more advanced reports.  Currently they buy the point of sales solution but get very basic reports with the product.

I would like to offer additional reporting features, graphs, interactive dashboards, etc. to these clients.

Questions:

1. I plan on developing these reports with Crystal Reports and will have access to their Betrieve DB fields with sample data to create these.  Does each client have to buy a Crystal Reports 2008 license along with the reports I offer them?  Do they also need to each buy an Xcelsius Lic.? 

2. Is there a way for me to create say 20 reports in CR '08 and Xcelsius and then bundle it somehow so it is more like an application they install?
If this is possible does this bundled application allow the user to add additional fields to the predone reports? Is this something I can do within CR '08 or do I also need to learn .net or some other programming language to create this?

3. Any other ideas on how to best create an offering for small to medium size businesses with an existing POS application, using Crystal reports and Xcelsius?  I assume just selling the pre-done reports in Crystal Reports has some value since they have been created, tested, etc., and gives them reports to go with their existing POS data.  It would also allow them to use CR and edit / update them.  However if I came out with a new release I assume it would overwrite any edits they had made to my original reports.  Offering an application that uses there data I think has advantages because I can control more, offer updates and not worry about overwriting edits the client has made.   However I am not sure if making an application is possible with CR 2008 and Xcelsius.  Ideas on steps I should take?  What books to read / learn from in what order to accomplish this?
Thanks,
Steve

Edited by pierfun - 17 May 2009 at 8:21am
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2009 at 4:48pm
Hi Steve,

This can be a bit tricky b/c no answer is perfect. If you want to create reports and have the client view them, then you can have them download the free report viewer. They can open you report and preview/print them. HOWEVER, this isn't compatible with Xcelsius and they couldn't view them. They would have to buy a copy of CR 2008. Also, the only way for users to edit reports is to have a copy of CR 2008. Each user would have to have their own copy. And yes, if you updated your report and sent it to them then your new report would overwrite their changes.

I hope this helps.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version