Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Record Selection Help Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
FrnhtGLI

Online Status: Offline
Quote FrnhtGLI Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2009 at 12:13pm
I realize it should be a select criteria and not a print criteria but most of the time the users don't use the select criteria, so they use the print options to narrow down the choicesConfused. Sound a little backwards? You would be rightClap.
The problem is we are really only creating templates for the information to be pulled into and cannot create Parameter fields as all the parameters are handled through the DataBase that we also create (My company that is). I have asked another Crystal developer that I work with who has been doing this longer and he seems a little stumped as well. I do appreciate your attempts though.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2009 at 12:40pm
Just a thought, but you may be able to conditionally suppress data (rows)rather than exclude it using the "print option" formula as the condition.
May make any summarry data more difficult if you need that but could address your basic display issues.
IP IP Logged
FrnhtGLI

Quote FrnhtGLI Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2009 at 12:47pm
I've also tried doing that as well, but I think the problem is since most of the information is in a Group Header and the D2 information is in the details section, the D2 information doesn't relate properly in suppressing the D0 information. Unless I'm just not doing something properly.

Do you think you could throw me a sample suppression formula?

Thanks.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2009 at 1:05pm
I would have to see your set up to really help but here are some things to think about.
You can conditionally suppress fields or you can conditionally suppress sections (rows, headers, footers, etc). Sometimes you can do both by setting the section expert to suppress "blank sections" so when you suppress the fields if they all get suppressed that section also gets suppressed.
Also you may be running into issues about when to suppress the Gheader because it may contain rows that are changing based on the rest of the suppression. You can deal with this by using a formula field to "flag" a row a 1 or a 0 and then sum that on the group and conditionally suppres if the sum=0 (or >0).
For example you have 3 rows that may or may not be suppressed.
Create a formula to flag it based on your suppression critieria.
If fielda="this" and fieldb="that then 1 else 0 (generally a 1 inidcates not suppressed 0 indicates suppressed)
now the 3 rows have a 1 or a 0 on them. from there create a sum of that formula at your group level that you need to maybe suppress. Now your group header has 0 to 3.
You can conditionally suppress the header on that sum=0 (or >0 depending on your need). Sorry this is so abstract but I hope it helps give you some direction.
If you need help with it I would need to see some sample data in row format (I really have a hard time with XML codes) with the conditions that you want each part (row or headers) to be seen or not and I might be able to come up with a process for you.

Edited by DBlank - 22 May 2009 at 1:08pm
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2009 at 1:11pm

Note that part of your row "flag" formula will include the user defined printing option.

Somthing like;
if {@PERR}='Y' and {XMLNAME.D2_DTLCODE}='M' then 1 else 0
IP IP Logged
FrnhtGLI

Quote FrnhtGLI Replybullet Posted: 26 May 2009 at 11:48am
Okay, so I learned something today after speaking with the programmer who designed the XML, and it is a great lesson learned.

'A Print Option is always a Print Option except for when it's a Select Option.'Confused

There apparently was a miscommunication over how the {@PERR} print option acts.

Normally, the user uses the Select Options to choose records to include on the report (this reduces the size of the XML). Then selectes Print Options to either A) Print Certain fields on the report or B) further narrow down the records on the report (this typically does not reduce the size of the XML and is something that I must handle through Crystal).

For this particular report, the Print Option {@PERR} actually acts as a Select Option in which it removes records from the XML, reducing it's size. I did not need to do anything for this since it is already handled. So I spent all day Friday and the majority of today trying to do something that didn't need to be done, and in all likelyhood, I wouldn't have even been able to do with the XML set up as it was anyways.Cry And while I will never get back the hours I spent trying to do some unnecessary task, I am extremely happy that my report runs properly and that I am finished with it.Big%20smile

Thanks for all the help DBLank.Star
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version