Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: How to create user editable Text Object? Post Reply Post New Topic
btough

Online Status: Offline
Quote btough Replybullet Topic: How to create user editable Text Object?
    Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 6:28am

Hello,

I have created a crystal report(CR). It is connected with the database and columns are Drag and drop into CR using Field Explorer. Now I want one extra column, which can have value on per row basis. Other columns will display the values from the database, but this column will not contain any values after it is being displayed to user. For any perticular row, If user want that this column should have value, user can type the value. So how can I add such field/column in Crystal Report, so that user can change it's value at any time. In short I want such Text Box which can be edit by user.

Please, help if anybody already worked on it?

Have I explained my requirement clearly or need some more information? '

-Thanks in advance.

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 6:46am
Nope.  Crystal is a reporting tool only.  Once the report is generated, no modification is allowed.  Since Crystal won't write to a database either, I would suggest leaving space on the report and letting the user write it on the hardcopy.

The functionality that you want, is called a custom app, and with all the variations of how to write a report, it isn't a simple app either.  At least not one I care to write.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 7:13am
Lockwelle summed it up pretty well. The only other option I can think of would be to have the end user export to Excel or Word and then add the column information in that application.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 8:52am
As a note, the exporting to Excel is not as good as I would have expected.  Sometimes a row of data will have its contents shifted for no really good reason, especially considering that Crystal knows it is all in the same 'column'.  There are workarounds, but they result in a silly looking file (use a constant column width).
IP IP Logged
btough

Quote btough Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 12:12am
Thank you lockwelle and DBlank for your valuable help.
     From the above  discussion I come to know that if I export the report as xls or word , and add the column in it, it will solve the problem. But if user want to export the report as pdf it will not work.
     So isn't there any another solution other than exporting as xls or word?

Appreciating your help,

Thanks.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 6:52am
Not in crystal.
If the new field data is a logical and constant conclusion that can be determined from other data then you could create a formula to insert it. If it is a more "random" piece of text then you are out of luck as far as crystal is concerned. Crystal only displays data, it does not accept new data input.
IP IP Logged
btough

Quote btough Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 3:15am
Thank you DBlank.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version