Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: How can I show groups with no rows? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
RobR

Online Status: Offline
Quote RobR Replybullet Topic: How can I show groups with no rows?
    Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 6:13am
I use CR XI under Windows XP Pro. 

I am working on reports for an annealing shop.  A charge consists of a stack of coils of steel sheet or wire.  It is stacked on a base, a furnace is lowered onto it, and it is heated at a controlled rate for a couple of days. 

I am trying to come up with a report that will summarize information for all charges that have been annealed on each base in a given month.  It is quite possible that no charges will be annealed on a base during the month, but charges may have been annealed on it in some other month.

As an example, suppose I develop a report to list the number of charges that have been annealed on a base.  I start my report with the bases table and the charges table, linked on the base name field.  I set up a group on the base name, and use a running total that is reset when the group changes to report the count of charges for the base.  My report shows me the six bases out of 124 that have any charges. 

But I want all bases listed.  So, I change the link from an inner join to a left outer join.  Now, I've got all 124 bases, with 118 of them showing 0 charges.  Fine. 

But what happens if I add a record selection formula?  Let's say, all charges annealed since the start of this year.  (That means all of them.)  The record selection formula is:
{charge.fire_date} > DateTime (2009, 01, 01, 00, 00, 00)
Now I'm back to the six bases that had charges!  How can I get this report, using this selection formula, to include all 124 bases, including the 118 for which the count will be zero?

One way I can think of to do it is to move the selection criterion from the record selection formula to the evaluation formula of the running total that contains the charge count.  But the report I'm working on has a fairly set of columns, with totals to be maintained for each base and for the plant as a whole, and putting an evaluation formula in for each running total field I use.  But that is really cumbersome, and it will be even more cumbersome if I ever have to change the evaluation formula for each of the 20 or so running totals in this report. 

Another thing I thought of trying was basing the report on an SQL Command, since I can put parameters in the comand that will limit the number of records returned.  I could do that if the starting date and ending date of the range of interest were specified explicitly as parameters.  However, the report is designed to show data for a given month.  The report has two parameters, a month number and a year number, and the user has requested a default value of the previous month.  I am implementing that by using a month number of 0 to mean the previous month.  An SQL statement that will select for a given month and year is easy to put together, but I have no idea how to write an SQL statement that would do that and also would translate 0 into "Give me anything regardless of date". 

I could easily write a stored procedure in the database that would do what I need it to do, but I've been modifying the databae too much as it is, and I really don't think I should have to.

What I want to do is very simple in concept, and I have no idea why it's so hard in reality.  How can I get empty groups to be included in my report?

Thank you very much!

RobR
Richardson's First Law of Computational Unpredictability: The fact that a given occurrence is impossible does not imply that it will not occur.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 6:18am
Since you want all bases, the simplest would be to change the link type between bases and charges to a left outer join.  Database Expert, look at the links, right click, change the join type.

I am pretty sure that is the correct info, all my reports drive off of stored procs with basically 1 table, so I never have to link.

HTH
IP IP Logged
RobR

Quote RobR Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 6:31am

Thank you very much for your quick reply.  Unfortunately, it appears that you didn't read my post very carefully. 

After I created the report, used the default link type (inner join), and got just six bases, I changed the link to a left outer join.  I got all 124 bases, just the way I want.  But then I added a record selection formula.  I went back down to six bases! 

Think about what happens with a left outer join when nothing on the right side matches anything on the left.  You end up with a record with all the fields from both the left and right sides, but all the fields on the right contain NULL.  Any logical operator on a NULL field returns FALSE.  So, a record selection on a NULL field will always return FALSE, and there won't be any records for the base's group, and the base won't be included on the report.

I actually tried checking for NULL in the record selection formula in the original report.  Any record with a NULL charge number would be accepted.  That actually appeared to work, until I looked closely.  I found that I didn't have bases listed on which charges had been annealed at some time, just not in the target month.  Again, I need those bases to appear on the report with a count of 0.  That was when I started trying to come up with ways to have the date range included in the original SQL statement instead of merely in a selection formula.

RobR
Richardson's First Law of Computational Unpredictability: The fact that a given occurrence is impossible does not imply that it will not occur.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 6:40am
Unfortunately the left join will not work here.
You are correct that when you put the record select statement on the dates it will turn the left join into an inner join and start excluding the records you want.

You have to handle this in a views or stored procs.

Edited by DBlank - 08 Jul 2009 at 6:42am
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 6:52am
do a left join on the tables, gives you lots of bases, in record selection select dates are null or in a range.

it is the same as what you do in a stored proc,
select * from base left join charge on charge.base=base.base where charge.date between x and y

you will still get the null dates, how would build the report?  group by base.  Every base has an entry, every one will display.  The rest is converting NULLs to 0.

Regardless, in Crystal or SQL, it is going to start with an outer join.  If you applied the same logic to the sql, you get the same result
select * into #temp from base left join charge on base.base=charge.base
select * from #temp where date between x and y
this will get rid of all the unused bases which is not the intent.  you need to craft your selection formula so that it includes what you want, not just exclude everything, because, as you said, look at what happens in an outer join...lots of nulls, and you want the nulls.

Not saying that I am necessarily right, the data could be completely different, just that no matter what you do in Crystal or SQL it is going to start with an outer join, or you are going to get really creative with inner joins that in the end simulate an outer join, because your requirements require that you perform the outer join.

Think what you would do in SQL and apply it to Crystal, since Crystal basically thinks the same way.

Edited by lockwelle - 08 Jul 2009 at 6:54am
IP IP Logged
RobR

Quote RobR Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 7:00am
I'm trying to think of how to do it in SQL.  If I can craft an SQL statement that will use a value of 0 to mean "Ignore the date limits", I could probably get what I need.  That would probably mean getting really, really creative with CASE clauses.

But the bottom line is that this is hellishly more complicated than it should be.  There should be some setting in Crystal Reports to tell it to show empty groups!  Is there such a setting?

RobR
IP IP Logged
RobR

Quote RobR Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 7:03am
No, that's a dumb question.  Sorry.  Once the record selection filter is applied, there's no way for CR to know that the base even exists.  So, I'm back to SQL.  I don't think I want to use subreports, because a subreport run for each base would run 124 separate queries, which would be too slow.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 8:39am
shouldn't be that hard, really, and I agree with trying to avoid subreports.

I am guessing that you will have a begin and end dates as parameters into the stored proc, if so, you could pass in null for the dates, then your where clause is something like:

charge.date between @start and @end or @start IS NULL or @end IS NULL.

should work...
IP IP Logged
RobR

Quote RobR Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 10:24am
I went with the stored proc.  It seems to be working. 

I've also learned the basics of using SQL Command objects with parameters.  Good grief, is that buggy!  I ended up with two parameters that didn't show up my Parameters list, both of which were named "area", which were displayed when I previewed the report instead of the parameters named "Month" and "Year" that should have been there. 

And is there really no way to connect an SQL Command object to previously defined parameters?  The only way I could get it to work was if I was creating the parameters along with the command object.

RobR

P.S.  Thanks very much for the time you have taken to try to help me!
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 10:31am
What I have supposed, is that the command object was originally designed as a way to get dynamic data into the parameter listing, so you can select a value that is appropriate.

That is how I have seen it used, and how I have used (the few times that I have), and it 'seems' to work just fine.  Many people (I have noticed on this site) use it as the main data source, and have problems (as you noticed).

I was 'taught' Crystal by an ex-Crystal tech support guy, and he said to go with stored procs, and I always have.  They can do things that no amount of joining and a simple select can ever accomplish.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version