Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Converting Existing RPT from 8.5 to 11.5 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Dawn08

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dawn08 Replybullet Topic: Converting Existing RPT from 8.5 to 11.5
    Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:54am

Now that we have version 11.5, I would like to migrate my existing reports (300 +) to the new version ( from 8.5 to 11.5). One of the issues I'm running into has to do with the SQL. In v8.5, I typically let the application create the intial SQL when I connect to the ODBC and link the tables. I then modify the SQL as necessary to get the desired results. I also have many parameter flds in these reports. In v11.5, I can not edit the previously mentioned SQL. Is there a way to convert these reports so I can edit the SQL?

IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 1:28pm

From experience, if you have edited the SQL in 8.5, the report won't migrate cleanly.  For our reports, we had modified the SQL to remove the schema owner so that we didn't have to change the reports when migrating from Dev to QA to Production.  We found that for any report that had multiple tables, the links showed up in the Linking Expert but did not exist in the SQL that Crystal generated so we were getting cartesian joins in the data. 

So, we had to take almost as many reports as you have and manually recreate them from scratch.  Because we deliver our reports through BOE, it was a simple thing to set the report properties in there to use a specified connection and to not use a schema owner (I wrote a utility using the SDK that does this for all reports in a folder so that we don't have to do it manually...)

The good things:
- We'd only updated the schema owner in the SQL, so we were able to rebuild them using the existing tables and links.
- We installed Crystal XI side-by-side with 8.5 and had both the original and the new report open at the same time.  Because we had the same tables in both, we could just copy and paste whole sections of the report (lines and boxes can cause a copy to fail, so just copy the actual fields and objects.)

If you're changing your SQL beyond just schema owners, you need to look at using Commands which allow you to write your own SQL.  Commands are not available for all types of database connections, though.

What type of database are you connecting to?  If it's MS SQL Server, I highly recommend that you use the OLE DB connection instead of ODBC.  I don't work with ODBC because we use a native Oracle connections, so I'm not sure if Crystal allows commands for ODBC or not.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Dawn08

Quote Dawn08 Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 6:40am
Wow...sounds like I have a lot of work ahead of me if I want to do this. I'm connecting to a MS SQL Server database, and at present we prefer to connect via an ODBC. I guess I will try what you suggested for a report or two and see if it will let me use the Command SQL approach.

Thanks for getting abck to me, it was very helpful.
IP IP Logged
Nav522

Quote Nav522 Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 6:39pm
Hi Dell am having this issue which u might be familiar. The scenario is we are having some 50 reports in crystal reports 8.5 that have manually edited sql queries using odbc connection. We are planning to move to BO crystal reports XI. we actually migrated the reports to Crystal XI by using "saving As". And now the case is; we uploaded all the reports to CMC so that users can see using infoview. Here main problem is some of the reports ran successfully and some reports failed with the following Error" Error in File  C:\xyz.rpt,Failed to retrieve Data from the Database." Now how do i make these failed reports run in CMC. Is there any restriction because of the manually edited sql in crystal 8.5. As u mentioned above do we need to create the failed reports from scratch. If so how would you do that? Or is there any simplified solution achieve it by using reporting properties as u said which am unable to understand.Could you please throw some light on this?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 6:48am
My experience has been that manually edited SQL from 8.5 does not "save as" cleanly to XI.  With our reports we would go to the Links tab in the Database Expert and we could see that the links between the tables were there, but when we looked at the SQL for the report, there were no joins between the tables and we saw too much data on the reports because there we ended up with cartesian joins (for every record in each table, get all possible combinations of records from the other tables.)

For your reports that ran, I would verify that the data is truly what you expect it to be.  I suspect that it is not.  For the reports that didn't run, I suspect that they're based on larger/more tables and that there was too much data for them to process correctly.  The only way I've found to solve the problem is to recreate the reports from scratch in XI.  Opening the 8.5 report in XI and trying to modify it does not work!

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Nav522

Quote Nav522 Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 7:24am
Hey Dell thanks for the reply . But i still have lot of unanswered doubts in my mind. First thing is as you said that you can see the linking of tables in the Database expert but actually not present in show sql query. In my case i dont feel that am losing any query for linking between the tables. I will provide you with the query below. And when i checked the data in preview mode in both the versions the values are matching.

And another question is why it is failing when i try to run the report in CMC while it is running perfectly on local crystal reports XI. and this is happening only for few reports, all the other reports are running fne in both cmc and crystal XI.

Finally if at all i have to recreate the report, how would i do that. i tried copying the fields from the old 8.5 but i cant copy it in crystal XI. And i have lot of formula fields, running total fields in my report,how would i recreate all of them. COuld you please calrify that one.

Thanks,
Nav
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 7:49am

For the CMC, are you using Crystal Server or BOE and which version are you running?

Are you scheduling the report or running it interactively?  Have you checked in the CMC to see whether the connection for the report is set up correctly?  If it's not, you can change it in the CMC without having to update the report in Crystal.

Are the reports that are failing connected to the same database as the ones that run successfully?  If not, is the connection configured correctly on the report server?  For example, if you're using ODBC, is the correct DSN set up on the server?  Also if they're not the same, how is the logon for the BO services set up on the report server (look in the CCM)?  Does the network ID used for the logon have access to the network location where the database resides?

If you recreate the report using a command instead of the tables, you won't be able to copy anything over from the original report and you'll have to recreate the formulas.  Or, you could create the report using the tables, copy over the objects from the old report, and then create a new command under Set Location to point the objects to the new query.  You'd still have to manually edit formulas, though.

Here are some hints for copying the objects from the old report:

1.  Don't try to copy everything at the same time. Try to do maybe a section at a time at the most.

2.  Any lines will cause the paste to fail - don't include lines in what you're copying, just re-draw them on the new report.

3.  If any of your formulas or running totals call other formulas that are not visible on the report, you'll need to copy these "hidden" formulas first - drag it on to the old report, cut, paste to the new report, then delete the object off the new report.  It will still appear under formulas.

4.  Objects won't paste if the table.field that they reference isn't available in the new report.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Nav522

Quote Nav522 Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 8:05am

Hi Dell Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Well now i have a lot of informartion to check on things here.

Coming to the CMC we are using BOEnterprise. And am trying to run the reports interactively, returning the following error " Error in File: failed to retrieve Data from the database".
 But anywayz i will try out things and get back to you. Anywayz Dell thank you for the information

Nav
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 8:13am
How long does the report run before you get the error?  This can also be an indication of a timeout on the Crystal Page Server (assuming you haven't upgraded to BOE XI 3.0 or 3.1.) or the Report Application Server (used when you have dynamic prompts.)

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Nav522

Quote Nav522 Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 10:40am
The report get backs with the failed message right away and here we are upgrading to BO XI R2.
                        Meanwhile i experimented like this. I went to a crystal 8.5 report which is a random report that is failing in CMC i created a copy of this report and took the query from show sql query in the corresponding crystal XI for the original one which by the way looks different from the original 8.5 query interms of "outer join".

I took the query in XI and pasted in the 8.5 report query (copy of original 8.5), then i tried uploading into the CMC and i got  succeded when i ran it. But unfortunaltely the values are off.
                           This might be because when i tried to run the crystal 8.5 report locally after editing the query i got a message " records in report will be selected using criteria specified in both  show sql query and in record selection formula.

Any idea about solving this, Because somehow the reports succeeded in CMC.

Thanks,
Nav

IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version