Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Reports Printing Question... Post Reply Post New Topic
ItsJaymz

Online Status: Offline
Quote ItsJaymz Replybullet Topic: Crystal Reports Printing Question...
    Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 10:16am
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question. My apologies if I am in the wrong area.

I was wondering if Crystal Reports are looked upon as an "image" when printing, similar to a .PDF file.
The reason I ask is: I have had some issues with printing over a T1 connection at a site I support. We use an application that generates Crystal Reports for various forms, and these jobs were getting "hung" in our print queue for upwards of 20 minutes before printing. After several weeks of having the network monitored, print server performance monitored, application performance monitored and various changes made to the print queues it was suggested to me to go with a PostScript driver as opposed to the standard PCL driver.

This seems to have fixed the issue, but I am trying to determine why it works. From my research, I have found that the PS data packets carry more overhead and is generally supposed to be slower printing than the PCL due to being independent of the hardware for data processing. The only thing I have found is that the PS driver processes image data faster which is why I am posing this question. I want to see if my assumption is correct so I have a better understanding and can pass that information on to anyone else who may be experiencing this problem.

Edited by ItsJaymz - 16 Sep 2009 at 10:17am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version