Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: report crashes -- why? Post Reply Post New Topic
mattdavi

Online Status: Offline
Quote mattdavi Replybullet Topic: report crashes -- why?
    Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 8:18am

I have a main report with two subreports in two different group header sections.  I would like the two subreports to flow together without a page break if space allows, so I set this up initially without any "new page after" selected in the section expert, but the report consistently crashes (closes) with no error messages or anything.  When I select "new page after" in the section that includes the first subreport, the report opens without a hitch.  I don't have any "keep together" options selected in either of the subreport objects or in any of the sections that I can see.  Can someone explain this behavior and how I can get past it?  Thanks!

Crystal XI.  Main report and two subreports are fed by Oracle views.  Subreport linking appears to be working fine as long as I have the "new page after" selected as described above.

Edited by mattdavi - 21 Sep 2009 at 8:20am
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 9:10am

Not sure why it is crashing...

Try and go into the sub report properties (Right click and select Format Subreport)
Select Common Tab
Uncheck "Keep Object Together"
In the main report in the section expert make sure Keep section together is unchecked
Does that do the trick?

Edited by DBlank - 21 Sep 2009 at 9:11am
IP IP Logged
mattdavi

Quote mattdavi Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 9:48am

I'm getting closer to figuring this out.  I have a formula field in the page header that simply places a PageNOfM at the top of the page.  When I remove this formula, the report does not crash.  Does anyone understand why this would be?

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 10:01am
Are you using the special field "Page N of M" or did you write your own formula for this?
If you wrote your formula, what is it?

FYI - Depending on the amount of the data Page N of M can kill your performance (and may be doing even more than that to your report). I have not had it "crash" crystal per se, but I would have preferred that to it taking up all of my resources and dragging ecverything to a halt. If you use it the report has to read and create everything before it can display anything causing multiple reads. On a larger report and especially one that uses subreports it can change a few seconds display time to several minutes.

IP IP Logged
mattdavi

Quote mattdavi Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 10:12am

Sorry that I wasn't clear about this, but I am using the PageNOfM special field.  I'm not too worried about performance, since I am producing a letter for printing on a printer--not deploying this to a web site or anything.  I just don't understand why that one field would cause the report to close down completely.  Can you think of a workaround for this.  The two subreports contain  bar charts.  Is this just too much for Crystal to handle?

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 10:13am
How many total pages are there in the report?

Edited by DBlank - 21 Sep 2009 at 10:14am
IP IP Logged
mattdavi

Quote mattdavi Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 10:41am
46 pages in the total report.  I removed the special field and added the straight "PageNumber" special field instead and it works.  PageNOfM is often requested by my management, though, so it would be too bad if I couldn't use it.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 11:15am
I have had it work fine with way more pages than that so there must be something else happening on this report to cause it.
If you really need it for this report I would try breaking this down to see if you can pinpoint it further like moving the subreports to group footers, suppress one report and show the other, making sure the link is OK, changing any shared variables, taking any conditional suppressions off, etc. and see if it crashes on each change.

Sorry I cannot give you a specific answer on exactly why it is crashing.

Edited by DBlank - 21 Sep 2009 at 11:17am
IP IP Logged
mattdavi

Quote mattdavi Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 12:45pm
I removed every section on the report except the two that contain the subreports and the page footer that contains the PageNofM.  Report still closes all of a sudden when I include a "new page after" in the second subreport section, but it works fine when I don't force a new page after that section.  Here is the info from the event log on the server: 

Faulting application crw32.exe, version 11.5.10.1263, faulting module cslibu-2-1.dll, version 11.5.10.1263, fault address 0x000027c7.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version