Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Use a calculated value in subreport in main report Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
cwhitmore

Online Status: Offline
Quote cwhitmore Replybullet Topic: Use a calculated value in subreport in main report
    Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 12:24pm
I have a main report with 2 subreports. All the reports calculate the same values but are grouped differently. for example, in the main report, i have a field to calculate gross revenue. In the first subreport, it is grouped by market, so it calculates the market gross revenue for the same time period. I would like to know how to calculate the difference between the gross revenue in main report and gross revenue in the first subreport. Or better yet, how i can i use the value "as is" in the first subreport in the main report. Hope this makes sense.

Cecil
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 6:16am
shared variables.
declare it in the subreport and access it in the main report.

in the sub
shared numbervar aVar;

aVar := somevalue you want;

in the main report
shared numbervar aVar;

use it how you want.

HTH
IP IP Logged
cwhitmore

Quote cwhitmore Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 6:38am
thanks for the swift reply. I am familar with using shared variables within a report but no sure how to access it when using subreports. If i declare a shared variable in my subreport, for example in supreport i have, shared numbervar MarketOccasionDiff:=if {#Occasions-base}=0 then 0 else (({#Occasions-base}-{#Occasions-1})/{#Occasions-base})*100 this give me a value, let's say 10. Now i would like to pull that 10 from subreort to main report. i used the following in main report , Shared numbervar MarketOccasionsDiff:=MarketOccasionsDiff. It displays 0 instead of 10
how do i access it in the mainreport when i u....i hope this makes sense

Edited by cwhitmore - 18 Nov 2009 at 6:59am
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 6:58am
same way you would if it was in the main report, using a formula like:

shared numbervar MarketOccasionDiff;

and then use it as you would any other variable.  Shared is the key word as it allows the variable to cross the boundary from subreport to main report.

HTH
IP IP Logged
cwhitmore

Quote cwhitmore Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 7:12am
I think this is where my confusion is. I'll try and explain. the subreport had a shared variable, shared numbervar MarketOccasionsDiff:=formula, this returns 10 in the subreport. Now, i would like that 10 to display in the main report. So i used the following shared variable to try and call it over, Shared numbervar MarketOccasionsDiff:=MarketOccasionsDiff. The result is 0. It seems to me the shared variable in the main report is totally separate from the shared variable in subreport even though i'm using the same name.

Cecil
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 7:19am
they shouldn't be.  The shared variable name is the same in both the subreport and the main report.  No assignment should be needed.  if the main is displaying 0 after the subreport has run, and I think that I have had this happen to me, you need to play with it...as I don't recall how I solved it...I think I needed to not suppress my subreport.

I know it is silly, but does your shared variable display a value in the subreport, and if so is it the correct value?  I've had it where I thought the variable should be x and it displays y....only to find out that I set the variable late or forgot to reset it or some other flaw.

HTH
IP IP Logged
cwhitmore

Quote cwhitmore Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 7:24am
Thanks, you have been most helpful. It looks like i may have mispelled the shared variable name in the main report. I checked spelling, and now everything is working properly. Once again, i appreciate your prompt response.

Cecil
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 7:25am
I hate when I do that....it is so easy to do, and so hard to find...especially in a complex report with lots of variables running around.
IP IP Logged
cwhitmore

Quote cwhitmore Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 8:25am
OK, i have another problem with the shared variable that i didn't notice earlier. The shared variable is displaying the wrong info. For example on the first record it displays 0 instead of 16. But on the second record the 16 is displayed. So it seems it is one record behind or early, not sure as i don't know where the 0 comes from.

Cecil
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 6:08am
the first question that comes to mind is: are you access the variable before the you call the subreport?  Are they on/in the same row of the report? 

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version