Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Unable to find formula field in select expert Post Reply Post New Topic
juzboarder

Online Status: Offline
Quote juzboarder Replybullet Topic: Unable to find formula field in select expert
    Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 3:30am
Hi,

I've designed a report which works fine, but I need to select data that returns a minus figure in a formula I created. When I go into the select expert the formula is not showing in the choose field box.
How can I filter the report to include only minus figures in a formula field?

version 11.008
cr pro

thanks
Jez
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 3:21pm

In the Select Expert, you have to click on "Show Formula".  You can now manually edit the formula in this window or you can click on "Formula Editor" to use that to edit the formula.

Note:  Using a Crystal Formula for selection criteria means that ALL of the data will be brought over the network to Crystal and then Crystal will filter it and only display the records that meet the criteria.  This can be incredibly slow if you're working with a large set of data!  Crystal will do a lot of swapping data between memory and disk and potentially eat up all of the free space on your drive (I've seen it happen!)  If the report ever fails while running, you'll have to manually clean up the temp files that it creates in the hidden Local Settings\Temp folder in your personal folder on the computer (on XP it's under C:\Documents and Settings\<user ID>, I'm not sure where it is on Vista...) A better option might be to see if you can create a SQL Expression that will do the same thing as your fomula and then use that in your selection criteria.  That way the database will filter the data and return the smaller result set. 

-Dell

Edited by hilfy - 15 Jan 2010 at 3:29pm
IP IP Logged
juzboarder

Quote juzboarder Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 5:05am
Thanks for your email.
I'm not wanting to edit a selection formula. I want to base a selection on a formula in the report. ie number of ordered goods less delivered goods. I have inserted the formula into the report and then want the report to only return minus results to this formula. At the moment the report is 600 pages long but only 4 lines have a negative number. Is it possible to use the select expert to only include these 4 lines?

Thanks 
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 6:31am

Sometimes you have to edit the selection formula in order to use a formula as the selection criteria.  Also, if your formula uses any of the summary functions (Sum, Count, Maximum, etc.) it cannot be used in the selection criteria - this is a limitation of Crystal.  If you find you have to do something like that your best bet is to use a Command where you manually write the SQL to get your data instead of letting Crystal write the SQL.

-Dell

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version