Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Using Crsytal Reports x1 Release 1 with VS 2005 Post Reply Post New Topic
netsri

Online Status: Offline
Quote netsri Replybullet Topic: Using Crsytal Reports x1 Release 1 with VS 2005
    Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 8:13am
Dear All,

I am working on a VS2005 ASP .NET application. As I understand when one uses VS2005, the reporting has to be done with Crystal Reports x1 Release 2.

However, the company policy has not yet allowed to use release 2. Therefore we are in a situtaion where we have to use Crystal reports x1 Release 1.

Now could anyone tell me how I can achieve this?

Currently we are using the ASP.NET application on VS2005. Whenever there is a report to be generated, it is redirected (Server.Transfer) to another web application (running on VS2003 having its own web server) having an empy aspx page with the crystal report viewer. From here the relevant report is generated. Although the reports get generated each time it connects to the web server for reporting, it consumes precious time.

We are forced to work with VS2005 for the main application whilst using Crystal Reports xi Release 1 for reporting.

Is the approach correct? Or is there a better way to achieve this?

Any advice woud be greatly appreciated.

netSri.

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 10:26am
I don't get it. You say you are using VS 2005 with CR XI R1, but then you say you redirect to an ASP.NET 1.1 page using CR and it runs slow. Why are you using two different versions of VS? Is the 2005 buggy and doesn't work with your reports, or are you just not using it b/c you don't have the R2 download yet? Have you tried VS 2005 yet to see if it will generate your reports correctly?

Also, if the .NET 2003 app is using datasets for the report, then you really need to upgrade to 2005. They rebuilt the data access libraries to improve the efficiency of dataset reporting.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
netsri

Quote netsri Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 7:06am
Hi Brian,

We are not using CR XI R1 with VS 2005. Is that possible in the first place? I was under the impression that VS 2005 only supports CR XI R2.

The problem we are facing is that the company policy only allows the usage of CR XI R1 (or below versions) as they are still not fully satisified with CR XI R2.

We are developing an ASP.NET application running on VS 2005. We require to develop an online reporting module with this limitation in place.

Could you tell me what the best approach is to develop the reporting module with this limitation in mind?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

netSri.
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 9:05am
netSri:

This might work??? If you have the developers edition they still include the RDC (report design component) with it. It is a com object.  I havent worked with the RDC in awhile but I have some recollection is can be used to solve your problem.

You might consider writing what are affectionately called classic ASP pages, which should allow you to use the RDC verses .Net components and then call the ASP report page from the .Net application.  Since .net still supports com you may be able to use it directly in a aspx page. If that works then it will allow you to use VS2005, CR XI and get your report out.

It would be a simple matter to move it to a aspx page when your company policy allows.

I hope this will work and I have not sent you down a wrong path. Perhaps others have a better solution.

Regards

John W.

Regards,

John W.
www.CustomReportWriters.net
IP IP Logged
netsri

Quote netsri Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 10:04pm
Thanks for the quick reply.

I haven't worked with RDC. Am still open to other options as well. Any more ideas?

netSti.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 10:53pm
That's it. It's not good, but there isn't anything else. Active Reports ROCKS when it comes to dynamic reports. CR just doesn't compare.

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version