Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: cascading dynamic parameter Post Reply Post New Topic
sv2284

Online Status: Offline
Quote sv2284 Replybullet Topic: cascading dynamic parameter
    Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:55am
I am confused on how to use the cascading parameters in the report.

For example, if I am asking for state- county- city how can I get the state selected to appear in the report? and the county selected?  I am able to show which city was selected but not sure how to get the other 2 fields in the report.
IP IP Logged
FrnhtGLI

Quote FrnhtGLI Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 6:00am
Create the Dynamic Parameter using State, County, City as separate values. In the Parameters column, click 'Click to create parameter' for each of the values. then do whatever other Value Options you need. Click okay. You should now see 3 parameter fields. Drag them into the report.
|< /\ '][' ( )
IP IP Logged
sv2284

Quote sv2284 Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 6:19am
But I only want for Example to Select subcontractors by their state. State - Illinois and then by county. So then in the cascading dynamic parameter it would only show me the subcontractor counties in Illinois.  Then if I select Cook County. I want the cascading parameter to only show me the cities in cook county.

I cannot do that if I have 3 separate parameters?
IP IP Logged
FrnhtGLI

Quote FrnhtGLI Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 2:08am

Well, it's like creating 3 separate parameters but they work as one. If you create the parameter as I previously explained it should work properly.

Just in case it wasn't clear before:

1. Right-click Parameter Fields and select New.
2. Name the parameter and change List of Values to Dynamic.
3. In the Value column, click 'Click here to add item'. Select your state field then in the Parameters column click 'Click to create parameter'.
4. In the Value column in the second row, click 'Click here to add item'. Select your county field then in the Parameters column click 'Click to create parameter'.
5. In the third row select your city field and create the parameter.
6. Change any Value Options (you can do this for each of the parameters by selecting them from their rows and changing their options. Notice that as you select a value the Value Options changes from Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3.
7. Click OK. You now have three parameters that all start with the name you designated to the whole dynamic parameter. They come across as three separate fields but they act as one and will work in a cascading effect.
|< /\ '][' ( )
IP IP Logged
sv2284

Quote sv2284 Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 3:07am
Thank you that did work.

But I figured out the problem I was having.  In my state table and my county table and my city table the field that I need to use is the same name.  state.NAME and County.NAME and CITY.NAME.  So when I click on parameters to set the parameter I get an error because there already is a "NAME" parameter created.

Any ideas on getting around this issue??

Edited by sv2284 - 09 Apr 2010 at 3:08am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version