Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Unlock formatting Post Reply Post New Topic
brain

Online Status: Offline
Quote brain Replybullet Topic: Unlock formatting
    Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:40am
I have a pre-existing report (likely many of them, in fact, but looking at just one right now) that has all elements grayed out on the Format toolbar. When I click on any object on the report, I can see that the Lock Size/Position is depressed. But it is grayed out along with the rest of the items on the Format toolbar, including Lock Format, with the exception of Supress, so I cannot make any changes except Suppress for any objects on the report. The same is true on the Fomat menu bar; everything is grayed out. So I can make underlying changes to the report, such as data source & formulas, but I cannot move or format the visible objects on the report.

File → Report Options → Save Lock Report Design is unchecked. I checked it, entered the password, and saved it, then reversed that, but all to no avail. I was just guessing that might be involved, but evidently not.

Is there some underlying "lock format" for the entire report?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:43am
Is the file a .rpt file or a .rptr file? Rptr is a format that was introduced in Crystal 2011 that is a "read only" report. You might be able to export it to a .rpt to be able to edit it.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
brain

Quote brain Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:47am
It is an .rpt file. And, as noted, I can make other changes, such as formulas and data source (and then save the file). So it seems the file itself is not read only. It is just the formatting that is not only locked but non-unlockable.

Edited by brain - 13 Sep 2017 at 3:48am
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:55am
I would still try exporting to Crystal Reports format and see whether that will unlock the formatting in the exported report.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
brain

Quote brain Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:36pm
I tried exporting to .rpt, but all formatting remains locked and format menu bar options grayed out.
IP IP Logged
brain

Quote brain Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 4:23am
And just to note one other thing: when I right-click on any object, Format Field is simply not on the list. I would have expected it to be there but options grayed out once I click it.

It really seems as though there is some master option to lock the formatting for the entire report without locking out data source, formulas, etc, but I can find no such option or setting.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 4:33am
Is your report just in Crystal or have you opened it from the BI Platform (BusinessObjects or Crystal Reports Server)?

-Dell
IP IP Logged
brain

Quote brain Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 4:51am
I am running just straight SAP Crystal Reports 2016; from the About screen: Support Pack 2, Version 14.2.2.1975, CR Developer.

But I just figured it out. It occurred to me that the lockdown could possibly be more granular than the entire report. Sure enought, right-click a section, then Section Expert, and the Read-only checkbox is checked--for each section on the report.

So I untick that, click OK, and I can now modify format.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version