Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports .NET 2003 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Loading Crystal Reports causes error Post Reply Post New Topic
JohnS.

Online Status: Offline
Quote JohnS. Replybullet Topic: Loading Crystal Reports causes error
    Posted: 08 Mar 2007 at 8:12am
Good Day to you all.

I am fairly new to crystal reports, But i have completed 6 reports and deployed my application. It is a Windows app. written in VB.net 2005 bundled with crystal reports.

I have a setup program that i use to deploy my app. The error that i am getting is that the program by itself works fine on all computers that i have installed it to in the company i am doing work for. But what happens is that 4 out of 8 computers using the latest version of the app with the crystal reports works fine. But the other 4 when the app is run and i bring up the report viewer an error message pops up and says that " Microsoft has an encountered a problem and the app needs to shut down. Has this happend to anyone and is there a good solution to this.

Thanks for your help.
JohnS.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2007 at 11:06am
Wow, that's a pretty generic error message. Have you tried reinstalling to put the DLLs back on there? What about taking just one of the computers and installing the full VS 2005 on it just to see if that overwrites any possibly corrupt drivers?
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
JohnS.

Quote JohnS. Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2007 at 11:22am

Thanks for your quick response.  

Here is the test that i ran to see if had to do with the actual report or the code used for the report.

I created just a blank form with no code and put a crystal report viewer on it and that is what brought up the error.

Put the program on one of the pc's that has already been running it and no problem.

Do you think that installing the design software would take care of the problem. Or is there a way to down load drives for crystal reports.

Would buying the full version of crystal reports and installing to the pc correct this?

Any ideas.
JohnS.

Edited by JohnS. - 08 Mar 2007 at 11:25am
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2007 at 12:10pm
The problem is that since this is such a generic error message then we really have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. However, since your app works on half the computers, then I'm tempted to think it isn't that. The problem when the app is okay but the viewer still crashes is usually a DLL problem. Either something is out of date or there is a version conflict. The way I get around this is trying to install the FULL version of the program and that forces all DLLs to be updated. This doesn't guarantee a fix (since we don't even know what the actual problem is...), but it helps me many times. Thus, installing VS 2005 would force a refresh of all the DLLs. There are self-installating modules on the Crystal support site and you can try that.

The only problem with trying to fix this problem is that you have to be careful so that you don't install too many versions of Crystal on the computer and really muck things up. It's a catch-22 situation. I would use a computer that is least likely to wreak havoc if the experiment goes wrong.

Oh yeah - I forgot!!! I wrote a version checker utility for BOBJ a couple years ago. It exports all the Crystal Report DLL version to an XML file. YOu can run it on two computers an then compare them side by side. It's a bit out of date now, but will proably still help you out. Check the home page of this site for the link.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2007 at 12:11pm
Oh yeah - you don't have to buy the full version of XI. They have a 30 day trial download. If it fixes the problem then go ahead an buy it. If not, then just uninstall it and try something else.
IP IP Logged
JohnS.

Quote JohnS. Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2007 at 12:32pm
Hey Brian,
Thanks again for the quick response.
The DLL's are what is in the Window's Assembly?
If that is the case what i have seen is, on all computers that are able to run the app and view the reports have all the crystal reports drivers. Those that aren't able to view the reports do not have any drivers with the Prefix Crystal reports. 
So we are going to try down loading the trial version to see if it installs the drivers to view the reports

Thanks for you responce and your help. Atleast i know it is not my app.

First time i am actually glad to be part of a forum

JohnS.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2007 at 12:54pm
If the Crystal drivers aren't on the computer, then your install program is not installing everything that it needs to.  Those files should be installed as part of the runtime files for the viewer.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
JohnS.

Quote JohnS. Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2007 at 4:04am

Hey guys,

That is what the problem was. The crystal drivers were not being installed on the other pc's, why i do not know. I had to install the drivers for the crystal reports directly from the VS DVD to fix the problem. All seems to be working fine now.

THanks for your help, i am over that hurdle.

JohnS.

Edited by JohnS. - 13 Mar 2007 at 4:06am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version