Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Data binding problem with Crystal report 11 Post Reply Post New Topic
ayanmitra

Online Status: Offline
Quote ayanmitra Replybullet Topic: Data binding problem with Crystal report 11
    Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 2:28am
Dear Forum Members,

Our application is built upon .Net Framework 2.0 and we are using Crystal Report 11 for generating/displaying reports.

Very recently we noticed that, if the amount of data is huge (roughly above 4000 records), crystal report is not able to bind it the report viewer and the entire application is getting hanged. As an alternative we thought of exporting the report into PDF and display it using Acrobat reader. But even that was failed too. With this huge amount of data the Export is also not happening and again the application is getting hanged.

I googled through the net but didn’t found a solution to this.

Please suggest how to resolve this problem.

Please note few points:
===========================
** We are using VS2005 with SQL Server 2000.
** We are using Datasets for the report source.
** With small amount of data we really don’t have any problem and it is loading it properly.
** For those reports, which are creating this problem, we cannot reduce OR filter the data as they are yearly reports and will involve huge amount of records (roughly more than 10K at production)
** We cannot bind our report to a Stored Procedure as our architecture will not support that.

Happy Coding
IP IP Logged
Iago
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Iago Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 1:10pm
I may not be the right person to answer this.  Some of your points seem a little odd.
4000 records is not huge for Crystal
I would try a while loop around your dataset and dump the results to the console and see how long that takes.
I would setup SQL profiler to see what queries are being sent to the SQL server.  With only 4000 records an index will not even help, unless the tables are much larger and the dataset contains only 4000 records.

You may want to think about moving your business logic to SQL views verses .Net.  It is possible that your dataset is being filled with the results of 1000s of SQL statements.  It may be possible to replace this with a single join. 

Let SQL sever do the heaving lifting, not .net
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 5:34pm
I agree with Iago's post. There are ways to test the performance on the client side and server side to see where the bottleneck is. Also, use a stored procedure in SQL to return the data if possible.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
ayanmitra

Quote ayanmitra Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 8:42pm
Dear Iago/Brian,

First of all thanks for your response.

But the problem is neither with our SQL nor even the SP. Actually we have 3 tier architecture and for all reports we fetch the dataset from the server side. The culprit reports are also not using a very complicated query with joins.

See our porblem is not with getting the data from the server. Our problem is about binding the data. We found when the dataset is growing larger and larger, it is taking long time to get binded with the report viewer and at a point it is not happening at all (roughly when the dataset contains more than 4000+ records).

As I mentioned before we cannot actually bind the report directly to the SPs, becuase our architecture will not allow that.

Please suggest.
Happy Coding
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version