Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: field names changing?!? Post Reply Post New Topic
ejsjrnc

Online Status: Offline
Quote ejsjrnc Replybullet Topic: field names changing?!?
    Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 7:19pm
I'm working on a report that displays vendor service level data for my company.

The data for the report is an excel spreadsheet where all of the fields SHOULD be F1, F2, etc.

I built the report using a blank spreadsheet, then added data to it to test it out.

When I did this, some of the field names changed from F1, F2, etc to the data (ie F1 is the ticket number, F1 changed to INC00000876543).

The confusing part is that one of my coworkers built a report using similar fields in his spreadsheet, but did not run into this issue.  Also, only SOME of the fields were renamed, not all.  Even though each row of data is populated from F1 to F17.

I'm really at a loss.  The report works after I remap all of the data fields, but if the data changes (which it will on a pretty regular basis, depending the date ranges I'm reporting on), then I have to remap all of the changed fields again. 

I'm running CR 11 and MS excel 2003 (i think, not at work so can't verify)

i've been debating on just exporting the excel data to a table in an access database, but really don't want to have to recreate my report if I don't have to.

Anyone have any insight?  I can get screenshots of what I'm trying to explain on monday if there is any confusion.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the Director of my department wants to be able to take copies of this report for the last 6 months of data to a meeting in about 2 weeks.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 1:42pm

Does the spreadsheet have a "header" row above the data containing the field names?  If not, can you add one?

-Dell

IP IP Logged
ejsjrnc

Quote ejsjrnc Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 5:30am
I don't have a header row in the data.  The data is actually exported from another crystal report that I created to gather the data from multiple tables.  The oracle database will not allow me to perform any joins on the data when trying to access from multiple tables.  The only solution I came up with for that was to create subreports to gather the data needed from the "non-main" tables and then set shared variables.  I've gotten that issue worked out so that, unfortunately can't be changed.

I copied the data into a table in an access database and was able to get it to work without changing the field names.  I have a copy of the report that still uses the spreadsheet and will try to add a header row to the data to see if that improves things.  thanks for the input.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version