Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Hiding the database Post Reply Post New Topic
dimsrobert

Online Status: Offline
Quote dimsrobert Replybullet Topic: Hiding the database
    Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 11:47pm

Hello all-

I'm not a .Net C# guy I just write reports. I've been writing Crystal reports against a SQL server (tables and views) for 10 years. We just started a new project and one thing they would like to do is HIDE the database from everyone (including me) They want to expose datasets at runtime the the reports will be able to pull the data from and make it seemless.

database -- > exposed database object  --> reports

Basically a layer between the reports and the physical database itself. This will be in .Net and CR 2008. I've tinkered with a few different things, running the data out to XML and reading the XML fie with the report for example but everything I try I either get errors or very very poor performance 

Is there an ideal way to access data from a SQL server without actually being able to see the SQL server?

Sorry if this is a stupid request, I've been doing the same thing the same way for so long that I'm struggling.

Thanks for any hep / links you can give me.

(my responce to them was to hide the native tables with security but to allow VIEWS to be exposed as read only objects as Crystal to me has always seemed to work better with direct connection to the data. However, they do not want the VIEWS exposed either. Just looking for a solution.

Thanks a lot.

rb
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 3:42pm
In Visual Studio, Crystal can connect to both DataSets and Objects.  I'm not sure how to do the objects, but working with DataSets is not too difficult.  You'll need the dataset definition in order to design the report, so you need to be in Visual Studio not in the full version of Crystal. 

When you go to the Database Expert, something like "Project Data" will be available as an option.  Select that and you should see the DataSet that you need to connect to.

Once you have that part done, the programmer(s) will need to connect the report to the viewer or whatever other means of running the reports they need.  Tell them that they will need to use the "ReportDocument" object model, not the "CrystalViewer" object model.  I have some sample code if you need it.

-Dell

Edited by hilfy - 10 Feb 2009 at 3:44pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version