Writing Code
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Writing Code
Message Icon Topic: Large Data problem Post Reply Post New Topic
mmyaseen

Online Status: Offline
Quote mmyaseen Replybullet Topic: Large Data problem
    Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 3:48am
I have data of around 5 million records, when i bind the data to crystal reports it takes around 5-10 mins. When i export the crystal report gives out of memory exception.

Also when i do paging the paging is very very slow.

I am working on crystal report in .NET Framework 2.0 (VS.NET 2005).

Anybody has solution for this
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 6:46am
How long is your report...a million pages (ok, I exaggerate) but that is a LOT of data.  Remember that Crystal reads the data like 3 times and that it has to fetch the data from the DB, fetching that much data is going to take a bit.  I would have thought that paging would be quicker, but there is a lot of data for Crystal to keep track of. 

Are you binding to the tables are you fetching via a stored proc?  If from a stored proc, how long does it take to complete.   Then probably double that to get the 'run' time for Crystal...seems to work as a rule of thumb for me...if it takes 10 seconds to run in SQL server, then it will seem to take 20 for Crystal, maybe longer.

Regardless, it seems that that is an awful lot of data to push to a report...do you need them all?  Maybe you don't, maybe you do.  Maybe you can do some preprocessing on it in the DB so that fewer records are needed.

HTH
IP IP Logged
bradcapo1

Quote bradcapo1 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 2:49am

I am not so knowledgeable about this matter. So i have to learn it. Thanks for the post.

taux pret auto[/color"> - taux pret auto differe selon la rise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.
IP IP Logged
Rupali

Quote Rupali Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 3:20am
Hi,

How about fetching the data in slabs of 50 records dynamically ?

Let me explain:
If you implement the paging control through code you can fetch the data only when required. On an average the Crystal report displays 50 records/page (varies according to the font). So if you do this, you will be able to fetch the data dynamically in slabs of 50 records.

This ways, the Usability of your report increases as the user need not ponder at the screen for long.
Hope this servers the purpose.

CheersSmile ,
Rupali
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 6:08am
How would you implement this?  It's a great solution, but I have never seen this done for Crystal.  How would Crystal know how to group the data, as it doesn't have all the data to begin with?

Please share.

Thanks
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version