Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Reports Slow Loading... Post Reply Post New Topic
Bigced21

Online Status: Offline
Quote Bigced21 Replybullet Topic: Reports Slow Loading...
    Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 11:35am
What can i do on my end to speed up reports that are using stored procedures?  Is it good practice for me to parameterize my stored proc with as much selection data as possible from Parameter Fields?  Also, i have a report that has 3 subreports and loading just 400 records, but it takes a very long time somewhere in the range of 30 + minutes.  There has to be something i can do to increase the speed or reports that are using Stored Procs.  Especially my reports that have 1 or more subreports in the main report.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 3:27pm
Stored procedures are good because they can filter the records at the server level, but sub reports can kill response time.  It depends a lot of where the sub report is on the report.  Just remember that everytime the subreport is 'called' upon, it has to go out and fetch the data fresh.  Do you know if there are any optimizing tools for your database to make sure the stored procedure(s) are written for best performance?

I was given some tips how to optimize reports, If I can find that document, I will pass it on.
IP IP Logged
Bigced21

Quote Bigced21 Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 5:39am

I can definitely check, and if you do find that document please let me know.  thanks!

IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 1:37pm
I was not able to find the document.  My supervisor said she got the information from the author of books of Crystal Reports (George Peck).

I was looking through one of his books and found a couple of tips.  Improved performance can be had if a field that is being used is being indexed.  Also there is a option to set up what is known as bursting indexes (Report - Report Bursting Indexes).   Crystal can create it's own set of indexes to help speed up the report.

Just remember, each sub-report is like a whole report.  You will need to set up bursting indexes for each one of them.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version